What's new

Comcast HD services (1 Viewer)

Nathan_F

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan
I called Comcast in my area (Indianapolis) last night and again today. I am receiving a different price quote and list of services each time:

Last night:
ABC, NBC, CBS, ESPN, SHO, HBO plus 8 other channels in HD (wouldn't elaborate)
3-month promotion for $19.99 monthly
then converts to $58.94 after that. (equivalent to a $14.95 addition to Full Basic package current services)
Included HD converter rental as part of that cost

Today:
CBS, NBC, ESPN only (SHO and HBO would only be active if subscribed to those services)
Cost:
$5 additional for 1st month
Then for next 6 months, $6.99 converter rental plus $5 monthly fee for HD service
Then after that, $19.99 a month which included converter rental.

Neither CSR really acted like they knew what they were talking about. I'd like to have HD service, but I can't get a straight answer. Should I keep calling back until I get a package I like? Would I be better served going into the Comcast office and seeing what they say?

Eric F

Screenwriter
Lol. They only have one pricing scheme, so even if the CSR gets it wrong, you'll still be billed for the right one.

For Comcast in the Boston area, all I have to pay for is Basic Cable $6/mo, $7.34/mo for the HD box and that's it. You get all the free local HD channels. On top of that I picked up HBO And SHO a la carte, so I get HBO-HD and SHO-HD thrown in.

Nathan_F

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan
That's what I figured.. geesh.. any thoughts from anyone as to what the best way is for me to find out for sure what the package and pricing is before ordering?

Thanks!
Nathan

Hank_P

Second Unit
Nathan, I was so excited to see the title, then you response when calling Comcast. I was going to call last Thur. & Fri. but I didn't get a chance. I was wanting to know what they offered in our area (only really concerned with ESPN HD at the moment as I get the OTA HD already). I currently have their extended service with high speed internet. I need to know what the bottom $ is and what shows I'm going to get and if I get that that basic HD without having to get the SHO/HBO stuff.. I might be in.

I'll call this evening and see what answers I get (I'm sure it will probably be something different.)

Nathan_F

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan
Let me know what you find out. I'm to the point of just getting an OTA box until things are more clear. But that's still an upfront cost I'm not sure I can bear. Even worse would be the upfront cost to satellite HD service. Then again, I'd really like to have the ESPN-HD. I just wish the Comcast had their stuff together a little more!

Hank_P

Second Unit
Okay Nathan, this is the story I received last night. Again, I don't think the CSR (strong accent, and hard to understand) fully understood what I was asking either. I was told I could get NBC, CBS, and ESPN in HD, and the box rental for $14.95 a month on top of what I already had (Basic+Extended & internet). There would be $11.80 installation fee.

I asked if it included any other "digital" channels and she said it was just as she described.

Now, I just called again this morning, and spoke with someone that seemed understand a little more of what I was asking: First month is free.
(with what I currently have)
Basic Digital service: $6.99 for the first 6 months then goes to $14.95 after.
Digital with HD service: $11.99 for the first 6 months, then goes to $19.95 after that. The HD channels include NBC, CBS, ESPN, PBS (SHO/HBO are additional). This charge does include the STB. The digital service includes 44 music channels, 45 PPV channels, and 24 "basic" digital channels (Disney, Discovery, Soap Net, etc.).

I think I'll give it a try, at least the six months will take me through football season :D I am scheduled for Comcast to "hook my HD butt up" on 8/24 !!

Nathan_F

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan
That does sound very similar to the story I received from the CSR's.

I wish that price were just a little lower. I may have to talk the wife into the $11.99 for 6 months, but I don't know if she'll go for anything beyond that. She freaks when she sees that we pay almost $50 for "TV" every month anyway!

Bill_Mis

Stunt Coordinator
Just remember that ABC (Monday Night Football) is not available in Indy on Comcast. And there is no word when that may change. I actually bought a OTA STB just to cover this omission.

Nathan_F

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan
Maybe I will just get on OTA box until things finally come through with decent cable service. Maybe in a few years... Oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks