What's new

Comcast HD /SD signal question (1 Viewer)

Hello,

After living with the annoying audio level deference between HD/SD channels I decided to split the signals to my Display(Sony KV-40XBR800)... SD signals direct to the Display and HD only thru the Set-top box..The SD channels look a lot better now.

My question? Is this normal and why?

Thanks
Regards,
Keith

Anthony_J

Stunt Coordinator
How did you manage the split? If you're running the SD channels through the coaxial antenna connection, it could be because that input isn't as "clean" as the component ins. Maybe the TV uses a comb filter or something of the sort for antenna, but lets signals pass through the component inputs untouched?

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
For years the direct cable SD feed has been slightly sharper than going through the converter box. I do think the quality difference between the two has become slimmer in recent years.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I just got it myself.

I don't think the non-hd channels look as good on the component outs either, as when I use my TV's and SVHS VCR's tuners, from basic cable. I guess the good news is that I can go back to using the TV and VCR tuners if I wish.

I'll give it some more time before I do that. I guess if you split that, you had better get some decent spliters huh?

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
John, my answer was theoretical and does not reflect my current setup. My cable is split 2-ways with one going to a VCR used for recording unencrypted analog channels. The other goes to the Motorola DCT5100. At first I hooked up three different outputs: component, SVideo, and the RF out jack. Obviously the component is required for HD but in tests on digital and analog SD I found SVideo a smidgen better than component and the RF a double smidgen better. After determining this I removed the SVideo cable.

My remote control has two programmed buttons one for component and one for RF. While the RF out done this way might not be as clean as one which omits the converter box, it has the advantage of being able to receive all channels, analog and digital, included those encrypted.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks