Comcast HD in Tallahassee!!

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by AlClarkJr, Nov 28, 2003.

1. AlClarkJr

AlClarkJr Stunt Coordinator

Well all, my little one horse town has finally got HD thru comcast cable. (I've already had it for about a year) But at least I have the option now if I want to choose cable with only a monthly receiver rental of $5.00. Only 5 channels so far. but thank God for that! Has anyone heard of the VOOM satellite service thru Sears that offers almost 30 HD channels??? Thanks for any info.

2. Jim__B

Jim__B Stunt Coordinator

I posted this a few weeks ago, but I don't think it will be worth it until they can get some additional channels. Once they get the Network channels I will get it. Also right now they are not offering self install, they want to charge 17.50 to install. They said it because there are lots of differnt connections, but I don't want someone other than me messing with my setup.

3. Chuck Stephens

Chuck Stephens Stunt Coordinator

I was just wondering if there was any over the air HD yet and what channels are in HD through comcast?

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

5. AlClarkJr

Hello Jim, my dad just went to comcast picked up the receiver and we installed it ourselves. Justb a matter of component cables and digital optical. The channels are HD in demand, PBS, HBO, Showtime, ESPN HD. they're pretty nice so far, I'm waiting on locals before I take the plunge.

6. BrianCli

BrianCli Agent

Any idea on when they will get the network channels?

ALSO, what is the format (1080i or 720p) of the channels you currently get via Comcast HD?

Thanks!

Go Noles!

Brian

7. Jim__B

Jim__B Stunt Coordinator

Did comcast give him the cables he needed? ALso do you get both Showtime and HBO or just one.

I called WTWC(NBC) which owns ABC and WB an they told me there was no timetable for full HD, they are just digital now. I did not call WCTV.

8. AlClarkJr

Yes, believe it or not they gave him some pretty good quality component cables as well as some stereo audio cables.(we opted to use our own digital optical) He also has both Showtime & HBO. I think the box gives you the option to display all formats 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i. I'm not sure but I thought I recalled seeing that in the manual. My dad watched an ESPN-HD football game Sunday night and said the picture was fantastic. I'm waiting on the locals to broadcast Hi-Def then I'll jump on the band wagon.

9. Robert McDonald

Robert McDonald Stunt Coordinator

I spoke with a tech of WCTV Tuesday at a lunch; he said due to a number of things WCTV will not go HD until NEXT YEAR!!! [​IMG]

Reasons were: they were in negotiations with GPTV to broadcast with them, but GPTV just pulled out of the deal, and they just purchased the WTXL site across from Chiles High, are going to raze the building and rebuild there. They have the equipment, but won't use it.

10. Jim__B

Jim__B Stunt Coordinator

Sounds so typical of a Tallahassee business. Last time I talked to WTWC who also I guess owns ABC, & WB they did not know when they would go HD but were hoping this year. Don't know about FOX.

11. Chuck Stephens

Chuck Stephens Stunt Coordinator

They've already knocked the building down because I noticed it on my last trip to Atlanta. Why they can't get their act together is beyond me. Comcast sent my parents a notice a few weeks ago about their HD cable channels so I was trying to talk them into getting a HD ready TV since theirs just went out on them but the lack of programming kinda nixed that idea. I agree with Jim_B that this does sound typical of Tallahassee business. Nothing can ever be simple in this town[​IMG]