Comcast HD in SE Michigan?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ole, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Ole

Ole Stunt Coordinator

I just talked to my local Comcast office (Western Oakland County in Southeast Michigan) they said there is a big Comcast push to install HD due to pressure of TV Mfgrs selling HDTV for Christmas to install HD by Thanksgiving THIS YEAR. That's less than 3 weeks. I was totally floored. I didn't know the Detroit area got any respect. (Actually Detroit doesn't as he said the city was not included in the aggressive timetable). We just got Cable internet access a couple of months ago. We'll see if it really happens. He said the push is so new they have absolutely no firm information about offerings or pricing, but said rumor is that there will be no monthly fee but a $49.95 hookup fee. He knew nothing about equipment. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    [​IMG]

2. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

There was talk on AVS of this coming around before the end of October. HD customers will need the new Motorola box (5100, I think) I also believe that we'll have to sign up for at least basic digital cable as well. HD HBO and HD Showtime might not be scrambled at first.

There may already be a signal on the HD channels, but of course without the proper decoder, they are not viewable. My DTC100 can't "see" anything HD on my cable, but I don't have digital cable turned on, either. I doubt that it would work with their protocol, anyway.

I tried to preorder the box with no luck. I hope this comes through while the intro digital cable offer is alive.

3. Bruce Cadotte

Bruce Cadotte Stunt Coordinator

The other reason why "by Thanksgiving" is that WDIV is going to broadcast the parade in 1080i-live on Thanksgiving Day.

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

This is being discussed on AVS Forum. Several members have observed the following channels appearing on their digital cable service (none can be displayed, though):

178 -- ShowHD (also on 339)
    179 -- HBO HD (also on 300)
    180 -- ABC-D (WXYZ-DT)
    190 -- PBSD1 (WTVS-DT)

People in Philly & southern NJ also get NBC in HD over their Comcast service.

If this is any indication, it's disappointing that Comcast may not be carrying the network that has been showing the most HD content (CBS).

Since I do not have much interest in HBO or Showtime, I think I'll stick with my free OTA solution until Comcast adds either ESPN-HD (due to start in April 2003) or HDNet.

5. BenK

BenK Stunt Coordinator

I just talked to a Comcast representative a few minutes ago and she said it will be available in the southeastern Detroit metro area by the end of the year. Man I cant wait.

6. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

They are now accepting orders (in Madison Heights, at least) for the Motorola 5100 box.

7. Kevin_W

Kevin_W Second Unit

Is it the DTC5100? Holy smokes this thing is a whole bunch of things besides just HD tuner. If anyone can find pics of the backside, please post the links.
    [​IMG]
    Motorola little blurb about its features

8. Ole

Ole Stunt Coordinator

9. Kevin_W

Kevin_W Second Unit

It sure is Ole. I can't wait to get on the wagon with HDTV even if it is limited on channels. Has comcast mentioned if the other local channels are coming soon? Here is another PDF that lists the optional features:
    http://www.gi.com/catalog/product_documents/DCT5100.pdf
    I take it that comcast orders the units with none of those features?
    Something helpful for those out there like me who have one of Sony's first gen High Scan HDTV ready units with only one progscan/HDTV capable component inputs... a high bandwidth, four input component video switcher:
    http://www.inday.com/

10. BenK

BenK Stunt Coordinator

It truly is a thing of beauty. I've had it installed from Comcast for about a week now and the channels look great especially HD. The digital and analog channels look very good too since they're upconverted to 480i. I'm extremely happy with the service and Motorola box.