Comcast HD in Philly - happy with it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott_Woot, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Scott_Woot

Scott_Woot Auditioning

I'm considering getting HD via Comcast in the Philadelphia area. Now that's it's been around a while, and some of the bugs have been worked out (hopefully), I'm wondering if those who have it are satisfied with it.

feedback?

2. Jim__B

Jim__B Stunt Coordinator

Comcast is offering HD? How much does it cost/month? We have comcast her in tallahassee, fl but they are really only pushing Digital Cable which I had for a few months and really did not feel it was worth the money. Now if they offer HD i may look into that.

3. Joe McCabe

Joe McCabe Second Unit

I called Comcast about it here in Delaware.

They told me I must first upgrade to Digital Cable before I can recieve HD from them.

Then, I must rent *their* decoder, regardless of that fact that I already have one.

For just the HD package, I was given a price of $11.95 a month for ABC, CBS, NBC and PBS. Hbo and Showtime are only available if you already subscribe to them.

I have been told by friends that Digital Cable is a $15.00 a month upgrade.

Total: $ 26.95 extra a month!

No thanks!

I have a basic antenna in my attic, and HD looks great just from that. I guess it might look slighthly better from cable, but it's hard to imagine

4. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I have Comcast w/ Digital Cable and HBO. If it was only $12 extra to get HD (does that include the HD HBO?) I would get it right away (well, I'd have to get a HD set first [​IMG]). I'm gonna contact them and see what they say about if we'll get HD here.
    /Mike

5. Brucev

Brucev Auditioning

Comcasts "Digital cable" is $10 on top of what ever you already pay. This includes the box. Their HD channels are another $11. I'm on the list for hook up next month.

6. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

and I dont think Comcast has CBS in HD yet. So for us non-premium subscribers thats 27.00/month just for digital cable and 2, count them, 2 HD Channels.

Woohoo!! Where do I sign?!

7. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

sorry to repeat, but also, there is a setup fee of 30.00 ( i think) that is not negotiable. That means a guy comes out and hooks up a box..for those of us that Im sure know how to hook up the box more than they do.

Plus, I dont want any comcast person near my HT setup.

(when I got cable modem installed..the guy fell through my ceiling in my office (after I only lived in the house for 1 month) and I went throught HELL to get comcast to A: fix the hole and B: not charge me for setup since they drove me F-ing nuts for 3 weeks!)

so, im biased, as I hate Comcast..but I dont really have a choice in the matter for my provider. - No DSL, so DirectTV would be more expensive than Comcast.

8. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I contacted them about when/if they would introduce HD in Tucson,and they basically said "too few users right now to intrucde on a larger scale, we'll see what happens".

I started a thread about it in the Display Devices scetion on the forum, since it was hardware-related.

/Mike

9. Al_Reb

Al_Reb Agent

Hi all. Aboot this Comcast HD, what is the brand & model # of the cable box? My sister (lives a mile from me) recently got Comcast Digital cable. When I got to see the back of her digital cable box, a Motorola(#2500??), there was no optical, coaxial, RGB, or component out and it only had composit outs. Is there a different box for HD? If there is do I have to ask for that cable box?

10. ryan_m

ryan_m Stunt Coordinator

I received this response from an email I sent to Comcast customer service asking about HDTV service. Thought it might be of interest.

11. MickeS

MickeS Producer

12. Robert Cranwell

Robert Cranwell Stunt Coordinator

You need the HDD-200 side car from Motorola to make it work with the DCT Digital box. So if have another decoder for satellite or OTA it will not work. We are using a 256QAM digital with 2-1 compression. Yes you need the Digital Box for it to work. So if you want HBO or Showtime in HDTV then you will get HBO and Showtime on the digtial "upconverted NTSC broadcast" and the locals are in constant negotiations so it is wait and see all the time.

Right now it is just Vineland and Pleasantville down to Capemay in NJ. New Castle in Deleware. Eastern PA out to Harrisburg for now. North Jersey hopefully this year along with Conn.

Rob

13. Al_Reb

Al_Reb Agent

Thanks, everyone for the info. I called Comcast and they informed me that HD from thier digital cable was not available in my area, yet. But will be some time in the near future. No date was given[​IMG]
    Thanks again.