What's new

comcast HD box with my non-HDTV set??? (1 Viewer)

Sandor

Auditioning
I have comcast coming out tomorrow to set me up with an new motorola HD box. I am thinking its got 5.1 capabilities, WAY faster guides, and better picture.....
I have a sony KP-43T70 tv that I love, but its not HD. I dont really want to go out now and get a new set as of yet, my question is...will this box work with my tv at all? Will i notice a difference if so? Any pros or cons to this?
Please let me know....
Newbie here :)
Thanks!
Sandor

Sandor

Auditioning
100% its the new motorola box specifically for HDTV. I had to beg to get it!!! I curentlly have the comcast regular digital cable box....like yours!

Sandor

Auditioning
so basically ...for now you think I should hook up this box to svideo and call it a day. Do you think itll still be better then the way compressed 120 some odd lines I am getting now? I think from what I have heard regular cable is 320 lines, but digital cuts that in half to give you all the guides and channels. So my goal is to have digital audio so I can take advantage of my 5.1 and also improve the picture. So, seemingly if I do svideo itll be better then it is now and less then HD obviously since I dont have HD! :)
Lets hope the cable guy lets me keep the box..
Are all my assunptions ok thus far?
I hope so!

Vin

Supporting Actor
So, seemingly if I do svideo itll be better then it is now and less then HD obviously since I dont have HD!
Assuming your old box didn't have an S-video output you should see some improvement in video (the improvement realized by going from composite video to S-video is often MOST obvious when viewing text, i.e., much less dot crawl).
I think the greatest benefit you'll get with the new box (until you get an HD capable TV of course ) :) will be on the audio side, with the digital audio output.
Vin

Sandor

Auditioning
Well guys...I got the box and let me tell you, its 1st noticible plus is that the guide its amazingly fast. No delay between channels AT ALL! :) I am sooo excited about that number 1. 2nd the picture quality is near DVD honestly. The regular channels like local are just a bit better, but HBO, MTV etc are so nice now. I have tuned my TV nicely so the picture is as good as itll be without a new TV. People are typically impressed with how good it really is for not HD. And as we all expected, anything like HBO movies broadcasted in 5.1, DD are great to watch now. I never turned on my reciever when watching tv, but things are changing!
I am holding off on HD only cause I am moving soon and will see how my new place will accomate my new tv. That will decide my size, but for now I am leaning towards the 43 samsung. Thats the set I like best for now....but things could change, and after the new year who knows what kind of deals I can get on a HDTV set!
Thanks again!
BTW - I used Svideo not component video. I only have 1 Component video in, but the svideo is holding its own. I compared them and for the difference Ill leave my dvd component of course because thats when I enjoy it the most, movies!

Jim Ferguson

Stunt Coordinator
I doubt the box would do 480I on its component video output anyway. That's the 1080I output you use with an HD display.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
I was thinking about doing what you did and ordering digital cable from Comcast with the HDTV box, even though I only have an analog set. A couple questions:

1) How exactly did you ask for it? I've read a lot about people getting told that HDTV and digital cable are the same thing, end of story.

2) What service(s) did you have to get to qualify, and how much did they cost?

3) What did the tech say when he found out that your set wasn't HDTV (if he found out)?

4) Where did you order from? I'm in Arlington, VA (outside DC).

Hopefully I can pull it off with my 32" Wega...

AustinKW

Stunt Coordinator
Jesse,

In most Comcast areas, you will be asked at the time of ordering whether you have an HDTV-capable monitor. If you answer "No", Comcast will not install the Motorola DCT5100. Your call from here.

Austin

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
What they don't know can't hurt 'em ;). I signed up for an "appointment" on their web site, which has the least amount of relevant information on their products as possible. Anyway, it looks like I'm gonna try it. If they do send a tech who knows what's up to my house, I'll just tell him I'm getting a new set this weekend and I wanted to be ready.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
I'm holding my breath that my cable company (Cablevision)comes Tuesday with the HD box I requested. In my case, I do have 1 HD-capable display, but when they upgraded me to digital cable last week, my request for 3 Dig + 1 HD box was fulfilled with 4 Dig boxes.

Doug

Lewis

Agent
I did not think cablevision offered HD service. What town do you live in? What did you ask when you ordered the service?

Vern.S

Grip
When Charter came to install my HD box, I said "Oh you're the Cable Guy, I thought that you were delivering my new HDTV. They should have been here two hours ago!"

The Cable Guy had to call the office for permission to leave the SA3100HD with my HDTV not delivered yet. He did hook it up using the existing cables and leave after assuring the office that I could hook up the component cables on my own.

Actually, I'm still deciding between the Pioneer and the Toshiba!

Vern

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks