Comcast HD Box (Motorola)

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by CRyan, Apr 26, 2004.

1. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

What exactly is this box doing with HD? I realy enjoyed Dish and the control it allowed.

However, it looks as though I have no control with this box. What does it do with 720P? Upconvert to 1080? I have no idea, since I cannot find any settings in the menu system.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I know with the Dish box, I was able to choose to upconvert all signals etc.

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

If your box is the Motorola 5100, you can access the menu for upconversion, output and 4:3 override by turning the box off and hitting "menu" on the front of the box. You then can set the output ro 1080i (usually the default) and 4:3 override to 480i or 480p (allows regular non-HD channels to be output at 480i/p). There are other settings in this menu, but these are the basics.

3. Chuck Mullen

Chuck Mullen Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone know if there is an advantage or disadvantage to setting this to 480p?

4. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Depends on how good the source is and how good your interlacer is. My standard cable is pretty much crap and I did not notice much of a difference. Try it and see, your mileage may vary.

5. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Thanks for the help.

All I know is when my contract is up with cable, I am going back to Dish. Comcast HD simply does not compare and NO HD PPV. UGH!

Thanks again.