What's new

Comcast Fires TechTV staff. (1 Viewer)

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Having your station sold is one of the scariest feelings in the world, because you know your job isn't secure. TechTV has been in flux for a long time, and it's a shame it finally came down to this, especially when I felt they were finally hitting their stride and deciding what to do with the network. I've never liked the G4 show, and am not a gamer, but really enjoyed a lot of the programming from TechTV. I, personally, don't like this move at all.

BrentC

Agent

Well I AM a gamer and i found G4 to be the most borring channel i have ever watched. I will miss techTv a whole lot.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
They are retaining approx. 80 TechTV employees and moving them down to L.A. Considering that they actually went to the effort to re-hire Leo Laporte, it would be logical to think that they are keeping at least some of the on-air talent.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I found G4 a blast. For me, it makes great secondary viewing, if I'm gaming, or reading, etc. The problem is that they repeat everything a ton, even stuff that's old (for them). They've also made some very questionable moves with programs and personalities. TechTV had its merits also and I was hoping they'd combine the strengths of both into something better than either. I guess I'm still hoping.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
G4TechTV (the new merged channel) has posted a new FAQhere that lists which TechTV shows will be retained. The good news is that most of the main shows (The Screen Savers, X-Play, Unscrewed, Fresh Gear) will still be around.

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
The bad news is that Robot Wars, Anime Unleashed, and Thunderbirds survived. Why. And Call for Help didn't, that's a bad move.

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
Call for Help caters to the beginner crowd, the types of calls a Dell call center might get. The Screen Savers is moving toward the hobbyist audience. I think there's room for both.

I don't actually watch Call for Help, but I'd imagine it helps some people.

Michael Ballack

Second Unit

That's a good question, cause when Leo was re-hired at techtv, he said he would only be doing Call for Help for now. I wonder if he'll be back on the screen savers.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
Am I the only Comcast cable subscriber that does NOT have access to TechTv? I hate Comcast as it is, poor quality, poor customer service and terrible selection. No Fox News, No TechTv and their "video on demand" claim is a joke, espicially compared to Charter Cable. But if they would at least offer me TechTv in my service area I might be a bit more willing to pay the bill every month.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

I don't believe Comcast carried TechTV at all. I think that's why they bought them in the first place.

I'm surprised you don't have Fox News though, it's in my Comcast lineup.

/Mike

Win Joy Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Well the shows may survive, but what members of the on-air talent will move to L.A.?

My guess is not many.

DarrenHo

Stunt Coordinator
i'd be willing to bet a large number of the on air staff will be willing to move to la for the opertunity to try and expand into other areas of entertainment.

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
The Techtv peeps are miles more interesting than any of the lame G4 host. zzzzzzz. I hope they all go. I noticed on the G4TechTv site they don't mention hosts of any of the shows, even Unscrewed doesn't have 'With Martin Sergeant' in the title. Unscrewed with Tony Tallirico would suck!!!:angry:

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
It may be that the list of shows on the G4TechTV FAQ page was not complete. I think CfH is gone because I'd be surprised to Leo LaPorte make the move to LA. That guy seems to have pretty deep roots in the Bay Area.

The rest of on-air crew is pretty young and no one seems to be married or have kids, so I wouldn't imagine any of them would have a problem with moving south with their jobs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks