Comcast DVR picture anomalies?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Cavan.B, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Cavan.B

Cavan.B Stunt Coordinator

I recently upgraded to HDTV and called Comcast to install a HD-DVR, which turned out to be the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD. I had it for about a week and all was good, but then I started getting alternating green and purple color bars that scroll vertically. I know it's not the TV as DVD's are fine, but it's very annoying once I saw it on the cable connection, especially on B&W progamming.

A service tech came and changed the component cables, and the problem seemed to go away. But after I put everything back in its place, they came back later. The guy had said these cables are very sensitive and should only be handled by the connectors, as handling the body causes the signals to mix. This sounded like complete BS to me, since we've been using RCA cables for decades now and I've never heard of such a thing. Still, the problem subsided for a little while, so I can't ignore the possibility.

Are these just crappy cables, or is the box faulty? I've heard that this box has problems with the component outputs, could that be the problem?

If anyone has had this problem and knows a solution, that would be great. If not, any ideas would be helpful; I don't know what to think here.

2. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Adelphia supplied me with the same DVR. I also use component cables and have never had any problems. But I'm also not using the supplied cables. I refuse to pay big bucks for so-called premium cables, but I also refuse to use the cheap junk manufacturers supply. I have some gold-connector ARs that were not priced like ransom demands but which provide a very secure connection. You're right about thinking the "signal mixing" stuff is probably a lot of crap, given that all the cables are insulated. But you could have one or more cables that are crimped, or the way you've got the cables running the connections might not be perfect. Upgrading them would almost certainly be a good idea. You'll want to use the shortest length that will reach from your equipment to the TV. (My 8300HD-DVR is connected to my Onkyo receiver, as are my two DVD changers, and the Onkyo connects to the TV. I've never had an image problem with any of the inputs since calibrating with Digital Video Essentials.)

Regards,

Joe

3. Cavan.B

Cavan.B Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Joe. I'll try using some spare RCA cables to see if it goes away, and if it does, I'll buy some dedicated component cables from Monoprice. It's certainly easier than dealing with Comcast again. *shudder*

EDIT: Tried some other cables, no dice. I'm thinking it might be the box; we've had a lot of rain here recently, so maybe a surge over the cable line screwed it up. I also tried unplugging it from the surge protecter to clear up any EM interference, but it stayed the same. I hope I don't have to drop cash on a power conditioner. Guess I'll have to get Comcast to swap the box and see if that does it.