What's new

Comcast cable (1 Viewer)

PatH

Second Unit
First, mods: feel free to move this to any more appropriate forum.

I'm in Houston TX and have recently learned that Time-Warner will be replaced by Comcast at some point in the near to middle future. I've done a little online research to compare their extended basic service with mine and conclude that SciFi and TCM may be moved to a digital only tier The first is a disaster; the second, a disaster several orders of magnitude worse. Any HTF'ers out there who can provide me with info? I've also heard that the PVR they provide is crappy; is this valid?

PatH

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I have Comcast in the Metro Detroit area, and both SciFi and TCM are part of the extended basic plan. Digital cable is not required for either channel.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Same here in the Boston/NE area. But it really is up to the local Comcast where the channels are put on the dial.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
I have not had to make a decision yet but the only way a cable box gets into my house is with a-la-carte programming. If it's not analog or clear QAM (no box required with a newer digital tuner) then it's out. I'll buy my TV (and movies) on DVD if I need to. I tell my local cableco just that every month or so also. If they force a box then they get zip.

mylan

Screenwriter
I resisted for as long as I could but got a box several years ago when Charter moved HBO to the digital tier and I had to have The Sopranos. We are all fighting a losing battle trying to get the cable companies to go ala carte. We, as consumers buy the product that is put before us. If you want more channels, you get a digital box, if you want HD you get an HD box, if you want to record said HD, you get a box that records. Until TIVO comes out with the Series Three, this is the way I roll, there are compromises to everything and boycotting will do no good.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike

Well that will about seal the deal for me then. When we moved out here 8 months ago we had cable hooked up since we were using Comcast for broadband anyway. I'm ticked enough that TCM requires a box, if the whole package will require a box I might as well jump to DISH since there's already a dish installed on the house.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
We were going to switch to satellite when we got our HDTV, but compared the PQ at some neighbor's homes, and gosh what a difference. We're so much happier that was stuck with Comcast. They don't overly compress the HD, and you can really tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks