Comcast Cable holds condominium complex hostage with high prices.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert_eb, Apr 7, 2002.

1. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

I was wondering if anyone knows what I can do to change this. I live in a condominium and the only cable service available is Comcast. Basic cable thru Comcast costs me $55.00 or so. There is a competitor to Comcast called WideOpenWest, which charges $15.00 for basic cable. I called WideOpenWest and they stated to me that they were unable to provide me service. They were unable to do to the fact that they were not allowed to offer their service in my condominium complex. What can I do? It seems that Comcast has monopolized the area where I live and charges ridicules prices just to have basic service. How is this legal and what can I do to change this??

2. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Why not invest in a good antennae?

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

No, there's nothing you can do. Comcast has a contract for your condo. You can see about getting a Dish, but that's it. If your homeowners association bitches, point out to them that they're not allowed to stop you from placing such things on property you control (ie, your roof or walls of your house).

4. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

Definitely go the dish route. Hmm let's see, would I rather pay $40 a month for about fifty channels, no on-screen guide and absolutely the worst service in any industry period from Comcast, or about the same price for more channels, an on-screen guide, and the ability to self-install for a dish?
    *Rant mode: on
    No offense to anyone who might happen to work at Comcast, but I can't stand the damn monopolizing oaf of a company. Case in point, we tried to get [email protected] a few years ago. My dad explicitly says, "We don't have a cable running to our house." So they decide to send out a guy to install it anyway, and discover that, surprise!, it's kinda hard to install a cable modem when there's not a cable running to the house. After months of missed appointments to get a cable to the house we say, "Fuck em!" and end up waiting three years for DSL to come around. Then, to add insult to injury, they cut down one of the bushes on the side of our house that's been there since we moved in 20+ years ago while installing our neighbor's digital cable, which they apparently never got around to activating anyway. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    *Rant mode: off

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I have comcast but they charge about $40/mo for basic, $55 seems like such a waste. They are really trying to sponge off the bigwigs in that condo. I say go the satellite route too.

One thing you might wanna consider is getting the cable tv/cable internet combo. Comcast knocks about $10 of the total price per month.

6. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    $15 a month for service would be great but based on what Comcast is charging for basic cable I'm willing to resort to rabbit ears.

7. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

Unless Comcast serves ONLY your condominium, then they have to have a franchise in your area (basically they're licensed by the local government to be a provider). Start complaining to your local government and the FCC (they have a specific bureau for cable).