What's new

Comcast cable - HD?? (1 Viewer)

MikePeroni

Stunt Coordinator
Checking out widescreens last night at Best Buy here in Westland, MI.(Detroit area). After talking about the pros and cons of widescreen with a seemingly knowledgeable salesman, he swore up and down that Comcast was going to enter the HD realm. According to him, within 3-4 months
Comcast will have 5 or so HD channels on air, with the STB
for a monthly fee(???). Well after calling local Comcast offices, they had no information on this, so I sent an
e-mail off to corporate. Just wondering what everyone thinks about this...Could it be true or was this just a
salespitch for a widescreen, as this would certainly make the ol' 4:3 vs. 16:9 easier to decide.
Thanks, Mike

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'm in Plymouth, which shares the same Comcast cable system with Canton. I have not been able to find any info from Comcast indicating that they will be distributing an HDTV signal in the near future.
On a whim, I did try attaching my Samsung HDTV tuner to the Comcast cable feed. It came up with no channels, as expected.
From Canton, though, you should be able to pick up all six local OTA channels -- ABC, Fox, NBC, CBS, UPN and PBS. I can pick them all up with a Radio Shack amplified indoor antenna.
------------------
patriot.gif

My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 5

tommy_esq

Stunt Coordinator
I too am in the metro Detroit area and have Comcast cable. I have heard nothing regarding them carrying HD broadcasts anytime in the near future. I would be surprised if I learned otherwise. Best Buy employees don't always know what they're talking about...
On a different note, do either of you guys have a Comcast STB with a dolby digital out?

Lewis

Agent
There was a thread on avs forum regarding comcast carrying HD soon. I would check it out.

Brett Loomis

Stunt Coordinator
Hey my Plymouth/Canton and MH friends!!!! I'm in a brand new Sub in Canton and I asked the Comcast installer about a month ago about this and he didn't know anything.
Best Buy guys are clueless in my experience. I hope he proves me wrong....Meanwhile, I am dying for the DISH as I finish my basement HT...Problem is I will have 5 TV's in my house.
Mike, Keep us informed as to Comcast' response to your e-mail
------------------

tommy_esq

Stunt Coordinator
They raised your rates? It only changed by a dollar or so when Comcast gobbled up MediaOne. I'm curious as to if a DD 5.1 STB for Comcast even exists. I've talked to customer service reps twice who had no idea what I was talking about (or what a Digital Optical/Coax out even was). Do you know if one exists?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Tommy,
They raised my rates by over $5 per month, plus took away the "Rewards" program where I was receiving HBO for free. So I lost HBO (they wanted another $12.95 per month for this one channel) and am still paying more money.
------------------
patriot.gif

My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 5

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks