What's new

Comcast cable HD - how is the picture and channel changing speed? (1 Viewer)

Kevin_W

Second Unit
I am in SE Michigan and I am scheduled to get it later this month, but the wait feels like an eternity. I am curious as to what you think of the HD picture? It's probably not as good as something OTA, but would you consider it better than your best DVD picture?

Also, as a digital cable subscriber, the speed of changing channels is just horrific. Wondering if the new Motorola box does a speedier job.

Thanks as always,
Kevin

AustinKW

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin,

Also in SEMI - picture is every bit as good as OTA (I have both). No comparison at all with DVD. Channel changing is instantaneous - much better than the Samsung T150 OTA receiver. You're going to love it. Good luck.

Austin

Matt Weldy

Second Unit
I just got it installed in Indiana. And to be honest I am not completely thrilled with it. I am not sure if I just got my hopes up after two years of waiting for it. But right now in indy we only have two local channels plus hbo and showtime in hd. I am an ex direct tv user and the lack of all digital channels (non hd) sucks and most of the digital channels are of lower quality than direct tv. Most of the hd programming is pretty good it just depends on the program. But the new digital box has a new modem in it so the menu is fast not like it used to be. But all that said I am not returning my comcast any time soon.

BenK

Stunt Coordinator
I've had my HD service here in SE Michigan for over a month now and I'm still impressed by it. The HD picture rivals ota with fast channel changing. I'm extremely happy with it. Check out the avsforum. They have an active dedicated hdtv section with many users from Michigan. Enjoy.

Kevin_W

Second Unit
Good news to hear, thanks guys. Austin, did you get the black or silver version of the 5100?

Bill_Mis

Stunt Coordinator
Just got HD hooked up in Indy and my only complaint is the picture is overly dark on most of the channels. I have a Pioneer HDTV and I have to boost the black level to about 10+ when it normally was on about 5-. This goes for the High Def ones as well as the others, both analog and "digital cable" channels.

Jason Cald****

Stunt Coordinator
I have had the silver box now for a few weeks in michigan.

Has anyone in michigan got the firmware update yet so you don't have to watch normal programming with bars on the side while in HD mode?

I have heard people in the philly area got this firmware update already.

Thanks

Matt Weldy

Second Unit
Dose anybody have the new motorola box. The one where all the stuff on the dct5100 becomes enabled and the one that has the pvr in it. I seen it one motorolas web site. So I know it exists.

AustinKW

Stunt Coordinator
Jason,

I'm not aware there is a fix for this at the STB. My understanding is that the stations upconvert their 4:3 programming to 1080i/720p and send it over to Comcast. The STB has no way of knowing about the content of the signal, only its resolution. If the stations would broadcast the 4:3 material in 480i/480p, then we could do something about it.

Matt,

You're talking about the 5200 - haven't seen one. The "stuff" on the 5100 isn't all enabled at this time. It's got everything but the kitchen sink for connectivity but Comcast has a ways to go before interactive TV becomes a reality.

Austin

Jason Cald****

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm i read something over at AVS that a guy in philly got a firmware update and that now it was not 4:3 on non HD stuff.

I will have to do some more checking around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks