1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

combining the power of a receiver with a parasound amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by george clayton, Sep 29, 2003.

1. george clayton

george clayton Auditioning

This may be a dumb question but Im getting ready to purchase a parasound amp HCA-1205A to run ifinity IL40s 20s and IL center. I am currently using a Yamaha RX-V1300 for this. When I get the amp the 1300 will be a pre amp but can I combine the power of the two amps to get more wattage or will it cause my amps to fry

2. george clayton

george clayton Auditioning

Will someone please awnser even if its to tell me that Im an idiot thanx

3. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

George: It is possible to run 2 amps to the same pair of speakers if the speakers are bi-amp capable. IOW, each speaker would have 2 sets of binding posts and the 2 sets of posts would need to be physically separated. You can't hook them both into the same posts. Electrically, this would not work...

Other things to consider...will the Yamaha's amps still work after you plug in the connectors to the new amp? Some receivers do and some don't. I'm sorry but I don't know this answer.

The other consideration, and this could be the deal killer, is that the Yamaha and the Parasound must have the same amplification gain. Gain is the measurement of how many decibels the incoming signal is amplified. If the new Parasound is 29 db and the Yamaha is only 26 db, the the portion of the speaker the Yamaha is driving would always be 3 db lower in volume. Quite noticable! The Parasound's gain is probably on it's spec sheet. The Yamaha's may be harder to find. Most receiver makers don't ususally publish gain.

Hope this helps!

4. JohnSer

JohnSer Stunt Coordinator

I have IL10s and IL25 center for a basement/game room system. The IL10s are passively bi-ampable, but I think the center channel is not. I would recommend initially wiring as your original plan, receiver as pre/pro. You could then experiment with running the front three off the new amp, and the back surrounds off the receiver. If all your speakers are bi-ampable, then you could try that as well. I suspect, that you will hear little difference in these set-ups unless you are running on edge of clipping.

FWIW, I have had IL10s pluged into a H/K 520, Adcom 545II, and now on the basement system with an Onkyo 575X, and couldn't tell any noticeable difference. With custom 8 ohm speakers, consisting of Peerless HDS and Seas T25 (higher quality drivers than the Interludes) I can hear some differences.

JohnS