Combining Grounds Of Speaker Outputs?(Short but Tedious)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by James Edward, May 7, 2006.

1. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

I was asked at the last minute to hook up an outdoor stereo w/volume control for a friend, right before a party. He told me he had enough speaker wire... He didn't.

But he did have a light duty(16 gauge) outdoor extension cord. But it only had 3 conductors.

After cutting the ends off the cord, I combined the grounds for both speakers at the receiver onto one wire, and ran each positive separately to the volume control. I attached the ONE ground wire to both ground inputs at the volume control.

Then I ran a standard 2 conductor speaker wire to each speaker from the volume control's outputs.

Should this be of any concern to the amp or speakers? My thought is no- they are probably all grounded together inside the receiver, then just wired to the negative post of the speaker output terminal.

Any thoughts? Thanks... I should add- everything appears to be working OK...

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Negative and ground are not the same thing, however the way you describe it, it can be run this way. The only thing is, what you are getting is essentially like Dolby Prologic because the channels are connected together. I would just pick up some extra wire and correctly wire it.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    James,

It’s probably fine, but what you should do is disconnect the speaker wires from the receiver and check the negative binding posts with an ohm meter. You’ll probably find that there is continuity between them. If so, you’re fine. If not, then the negatives are fully independent of each other, and you’re asking for trouble combining them.

That said, I believe it’s pretty common for the speaker negatives to share a common connection.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt