1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Combing with Denon DV-2800?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John E F, Mar 6, 2002.

1. John E F

John E F Stunt Coordinator

I purchased a Denon DV-2800 player last week. I have been using it in progressive mode and have noticed what I think is combing. When the movie switches to a fast moving scene some times the horizontal lines seem to go opposite ways. I have had a number of progressive players in the past and have not noticed this. Is this a known problem with the Denon? I it has the chroma bug which I can live with, but the other problem is pretty annoying. Other than that I really love the picture and want to like this player.

2. Ron Alcasid

Ron Alcasid Stunt Coordinator

Make sure the video mode is set to AUTO. For some odd reason the default is VIDEO.

3. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

Yep, what Ron said...

As far as combing, this unit is stellar in this regard. In the "Shootout" the 2800 did not comb and I've never seen mine comb in progressive scan whether it be film or video.

Check your video settings as well, make sure you've selected 16:9 (if you have a widescreen), progressive, and AUTO mode.

Also, check your firmware while you're at it. I believe the latest is either 5248/5250...I'm not at home so I can't check mine. If the chroma bug doesn't bother you (I can't even find it on mine...oh well, ignorance is bliss), you'll have a hard time finding a better DVD player, IMO under $1000.

Shoot me an e-mail this evening if you're still having problems...list the DVDs you're having problems with, chances are I have the movie at home. I can trouble shoot with you and we'll figure out whether or not you have a problem unit or it is just a setting issue.

Peace

Jeremy

4. John E F

John E F Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the help guys. All of my settings are good. I have it set to "darker". I have heard this to be a problem with other players so I will set it to "lighter" tonite and see what happens. Hopefully it was a bad batch of rental discs, actually the movies were so bad the Denon may have been trying to reject them.[​IMG]