What's new

Combing on new 57H83 (1 Viewer)

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Hi all,

I've been searching on this topic for a while and I'm having a hard time coming away with a distinct conclusion, so I thought I'd just ask.

I just got my 57H83 this week, I have a progressive scan player set to progressive. My 57H83 is set to Film mode. All the movies I've watched so far look fine.

I was just watching the Simpsons Treehouse of Horror DVD, and I noticed what matches the description of "combing" on three episodes. Oddly enough, the fourth episode, which is from 2001, did not have this issue.

I switched the 57H83 from Film to Video and saw no difference. I then set the player to interlaced, and the combing went away in both Film and Video mode.

Same thing with Babylon 5 on DVD. While the combing wasn't as evident, whenever the camera panned or someone moved fast, it seemed very "jerky", to put it in a non-scientific term.

I again switched the player to interlaced, and this helped dramatically. I assume that this means Babylon 5 was also sourced from video rather than film.

So far, in either progressive or interlaced mode on my player, I have yet to see the Film or Video settings produce any noticeable different on the TV. Very strange.

I'm trying to come to grips with the exact chain of events here. I've read that by leaving the player on progressive, the player is doing the 3:2 pulldown. If on interlaced, the set does the pulldown. I've also read this has to do with whether or not the source is film or video based. I got the impression that there should be some sort of auto detection for this, but it would seem like that's not happening.

Is there any hard and fast rule for determining the best modes to use with the Toshibas? Do all TV shows on DVD tend to have this issue as many are video rather than film based?

If there are any web docs or faq's on this please post a link.

Thanks!

Andrew

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
It is possible that your DVD player is at fault. When you switch the DVD player to interlaced and the picture is better, that means the TV's de-interlacer is better than the player's for the subject matter you are playing.

Some DVD players do not handle non=film source material very well. Also once in awhile a film source DVD is coded incorrectly so the DVD players first level of de-interlacing (flag checking) fouls up and the player needs a second level of de-interlacing (motion adaptive preferably with 3-2 pulldown recognition and optimizing) comparable to high quality TV built in de-interlacers and stand alone de-interlacers. These latter two kinds don't (can't) check flags for film source.

When the input to the TV is progressive, the TV's de-interlacer and therefore its video/film mode selection is inactive. The best de-interlacers, whether in the TV or in the DVD player or standing alone, do not need a video/film mode selection because they have auto-detection.

More:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/viddoubl.htm

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Thanks for the reply! I've been using a 5-dsic Philips 793CH that is progressive, but I bought it early in the year, and I just got my HDTV this week.

I picked up a Pioneer DV563A which I've heard nothing but great things about, so hopefully that'll make a difference.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
The reasons for this are complicated to explain in short order, but if the DVD player is set to progressive, The Film/Video switch will only serve a function if the TV is set to 540p scanning. If the DVD player is set to interlace, then the 540p/1080i switch and the Film/Video switch have no function.

From my testing on the H83/HX83 models, you will obtain the best results by setting the DVD player to interlaced output, allowing the TV to scale to 1080i.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks