What's new

Combine Sub1 and Sub2 Outputs To Single Subwoofer? (1 Viewer)

James Edward

Supporting Actor
It was hard to convey what I meant in a thread title...

I was under the impression that if a receiver has two sub outputs, only one of them should be used for a single sub.

I witnessed someone today using both output jacks from the receiver into one sub, by simply plugging into the low-level stereo inputs.

Wouldn't this possibly overload the input section of the sub's amp, causing distortion at the very least?

Thanks for any thoughts...

PS- I was overruled when I said that I never heard of doing such a thing, and did not think it was a wise idea.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There is nothing wrong with hooking it up that way, except that the person has to set the mains to large and use the sub's x-over (which generally gives more flexibility). Then they also need to dial in the sub themselves, preferably with an SPL meter, which is obviously more complex than using the sub preout and letting the receiver handle the x-over.

No, it won't overload the amp because once calibrated, the difference in input voltage will be accounted for. Is it the best way? Not really, IMO, but it isn't going to hurt anything.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
No, that's not my understanding of how the original poster says it is connected. Sounds to me like he's using both of the receiver's mono LFE sub outputs (yes, some do provide 2), not the receiver's stereo pre-outs. So you wouldn't set the receiver up with "no sub" in this situation.

There probably is nothing "wrong" with connecting the subwoofer that way, but there is really nothing gained. It's a similar situation as the much-argued Y-adapter.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The only receivers I've seen that have two sub outs were the older Yamahas. I'm sure there are others, but I'm not familiar with any. If that is the case, then I agree with ScottCHI, the sub would not be set to off.

ScottCarr

Second Unit
On the Pioneer 49txi there are two sub outs. There was no diference using 1 output then splitting it at the input of the sub or running both outputs to one sub.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
I could be wrong, but that ws how I read it.

The Boston Acoustics stuff that is being "blown out" has 2 sub outs.

I doubt it, but I wonder if the settings for each of the sub outputs on so-equipped receiver/pre/pros can be adjusted individually? That'd be sorta useful, though perhaps "can-o-worm-ish".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks