What's new

Combat the complete series (1 Viewer)

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
I just received combat the complete series and put the first disk in my desktop PC. The properties say that it is a 4.19 GB capacity disc. I think that means it's a single layer disc. I don't know how to tell if it is encrypted or not. The date on the video files is 2/17/14. Does anyone know how to tell if it may be a bootleg?

Thanks.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
4.19GB is typically single layer (there are smaller double layer formats but they're rarely used). How many episodes per disc?

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
4.19GB is typically single layer (there are smaller double layer formats but they're rarely used). How many episodes per disc?
There are eight discs in season 1 with four episodes per disc. I turned the disc over and it's silver not colored like a store bought disc. It seemed to play fine.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
8 discs sound right but 4 hour length episodes (~3.5 hrs of vintage TV) on a single layer disc screams high compression. Single layer is usually ~2 hours at normal compression ratios but several vendors push that for all they're worth (Mill Creek is one). I'd be a bit suspicious with that as I'd expect dual layer for that many "hour length" episodes on a disc. Even though it sounds like it's pressed, some boots are extremely well done and are on pressed discs. You'd really need someone with a known legit set to compare disc capacity or VOB file sizes. That's not me.

To check for encryption you could try to make a copy of a disc on a computer - if you have that capability. If it's encrypted it won't copy properly or will copy but won't play back.

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
8 discs sound right but 4 hour length episodes (~3.5 hrs of vintage TV) on a single layer disc screams high compression. Single layer is usually ~2 hours at normal compression ratios but several vendors push that for all they're worth (Mill Creek is one). I'd be a bit suspicious with that as I'd expect dual layer for that many "hour length" episodes on a disc. Even though it sounds like it's pressed, some boots are extremely well done and are on pressed discs. You'd really need someone with a known legit set to compare disc capacity or VOB file sizes. That's not me.

To check for encryption you could try to make a copy of a disc on a computer - if you have that capability. If it's encrypted it won't copy properly or will copy but won't play back.

Thanks I'll see if my computer will do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks