What's new

Comast HDTV Failed Install (1 Viewer)

Sean L

Stunt Coordinator
I got the Comcast HDTV installed this morning, took about 20 minutes and the Comcast employee even brought the component video and toslink cables.

Works great, but I have a question regarding my Toshiba 43" TV...it's a 4:3 since I watch more TV than movies.

Since there wasn't a manual with the Motorola box, I'm curious about the settings regarding 4:3 override etc. Anyone have access to the manual online other than the 12 page PDF on Comcast's website?

Thanks,
Sean Lewis, Bay Area, CA

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
My time warner hd has worked pretty well, or at least hbo and showtime channels. I tried watching malcolm in the middle on hd once (probably not the best choice anyway) and the aspect ratio was screwed up. Movies look better than dvd, though. I just don't play with it that much because my 4 component ins are taken up by the dvd player and my game consoles.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
Well good news for Seattleites using Comcast of course most of you know we teamed up with Fox Sports Northwest to offer all local Mariners games in HDTV, and also word has it KCTS channel 9 PBS will be launching here very soon:) now I'm getting more tempted to buy an HD set.

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
Sean,

if it's the 5100, press power off then either menu or select within 2 seconds. One gives you dignostics, other allows you to set the output config - resolution (1080i/720p/480p/4801), screen type (4x3 or 16x9), and 4x3 override (480i/480p/off)

Randy Brist

Agent
Sean,

To further comment on what Matt has added- I believe the 4:3 override allows channels that are broadcast in SD on non-HD channels to be seen full screen and "normal" looking- at least that is what has happened to me with a 4:3 set. My Motorola box only gets 5 channels- 4 of them are HD and one is their local access channel. Before a firmware upgrade, I did not have the 4:3 override option, and that channel had the side bars as well as letterboxing. With the 4:3 override turned on, it appears as a full screen image. On the 4 HD channels I get, SD programming has the side bars and is not full screen. Since I have a 4:3 set, I can't stretch images to fill the screen.

At least this is how I've interpreted how it works.

RandyB

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
I've got Time Warner in Houston. I have had HD for almost a month. I had a friend over, and had the perfect chance to AB the sources. Sum of All Fears was on Showtime HD, so we watched it for a while then popped in the DVD. The HD signal was noticeably better, sharper, more detail.

I had to buy my own TOS link cable.

Hey, do any of the HD cable boxes use DVI yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks