What's new

Com Port Troubleshooting Questions (1 Viewer)

James Edward

Supporting Actor
Good Morning,

I am attempting to download a computer based remote programming code onto an MX-850 remote. I get messages stating the com port is incorrect.

I am using a serial to USB adapter(Keyspan) on a Compaq laptop. How do I check into this issue? To be honest, I haven't a clue.

Thanks for any assistance.

PS- The adapter is because the cable to the remote is serial, and I only have USB inputs on the laptop.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
First, are you certain the COM port exists? Go to Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager, expand "Ports (COM and LPT)". Are any COM ports listed at all?

Second, if the COM port is present, its port number may be too high for the software. There's still plenty of software out there that can't see beyond COM4, and many external COM devices start their numbering at COM5. In the Device Manager, right-click the device's COM port and select "Properties". On the same page where you configure the port's settings, click on the "Advanced" button. Inside, you can change the device's port number.

Last thing is to check if the port's settings are correct. The manufacture may need the port to be set to a specific baud rate, data bits, parity, stop bit and handshaking setting (the software should have been able to set this on its own, but many bonehead programmers out there still don't add this code in their programs). Look in the manual.

Good luck!

James Edward

Supporting Actor
I went into Windows Firewall and added a port. It still gives me an error message. One piece says COM5 and I named the port I added COM1. I changed it to 5, but no luck.
There is a provision for NAME and PORT when adding a new one. Do these have any naming conventions I need to be aware of?

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
You shouldn't have to go to the firewall to open a com port. The Keyspan adaptor you have is very good and is what I used when I need to do exactly what you are trying to do. Did you install the software that came with the adapter?

James Edward

Supporting Actor
Problem solved. Thank you all. I would not have just been successful in downloading the remote program.
I went into Windows Firewall and deleted the port I added. I then reloaded the adapter software. I tried it then, but the program was looking for COM3, and the adapter was COM5. I changed it to COM5 in the remote software, and the download worked.

THANKS THANKS THANKS... I truly appreciate the answers- they led me to solve my problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks