Columbo Season 4 on March 14, 2006

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Christian Preischl, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    Well, the subject says it all really. March 14th, 40$ SRP.

Source: DVD Answers.

Of particular interest is the fact that they mention a 3 disc set! With season 4 having only 6 episodes, this indicates that there probably won't be any DVD-18s this time around.

I wonder what packaging changes they'll be doing this time around to ensure it won't match the previous seasons on the shelf. [​IMG]

Chris

2. John Stell

John Stell Supporting Actor

John Stell
    According to the Universal website specs, each DVD will have two episodes. So either the discs will be double-sided single layered, or single-sided double-layered. No DVD-18s! Hooray!

3. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

Looks like Uni's specs were correct. I just received S4 today. They are one-sided discs with 2 eps per disc in the "slim-pack" cases. I'm not familiar enough with the DVD terminology to say for sure what these are, DVD-9's, etc. Do you all think this represents Universal listening to consumer feedback about the DVD-18's?

Also, there's a $5.00-off coupon for Columbo S5. Coupon expires 1/15/07.

4. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    I wanted to buy the set but i was scared it would be DVD-18s. Guess i will have to buy it. I see they are re-releasing Northern Exposure season 1 and 2 together, and i hear they will be 1 sided discs too.

5. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

I could care less whether they are single-sided or double-sided. What matters is that the Columbo episodes so far have all been pristine transfers and they all look great! [​IMG]

6. Jon_Gu

Jon_Gu Stunt Coordinator

A bonus episode of Mrs. Columbo is included on the 3rd disc. Since there are only 9 episodes left of Mrs. Columbo, I'm beginning to wonder if they'll be fill for short seasons of Columbo and we will end up with the full series as bonues on the Columbo releases.

7. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

Although Mrs. Columbo was normally a mediocre series, a few of the stories weren't bad. I liked the one in which Rene Auberjonois played a psychiatrist who murdered one of his group therapy patients. All I remember is that Kate manages to catch him confessing to the murder in one of his sessions after she plants a video camera behind the wall in his office, and she gets it all on tape! [​IMG]

Universal realized that they weren't going to sell the Mrs. Columbo series on its own, so releasing it with Columbo in small doses was a good idea.

8. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    I have been buying this series and all of the shows have looked great. It is nice to have Columbo as part of my collection.

9. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

I showed my roommate -- a 19 year old half my age (and like me, a fan of the current series MONK) the original 1970s COLUMBO, and he thought Lt. Columbo was one of the most annoying characters he has ever seen!

I showed him all of one episode and part of another. What killed it for him was in Robert Culp's second episode in which Columbo is chasing after Culp in the airport because the Lieutenant remembered to ask him something regarding his investigation! And the scene becomes a "walk and talk", which bothers him. I have no problem with it, and I found it rather amusing the way the writers had Peter Falk often doing that with the guest stars.

Keep in mind that he's a boy and doesn't appreciate a true TV classic from that era (with the sole exception of Monty Python's Flying Circus), and he used to get into trouble with the law himself so he hates ALL cops.

10. Nick Eden

Nick Eden Stunt Coordinator

Just received season 5 this morning.
    It seems we now have 3 episodes of Mrs Columbo available (episodes 2, 3 and 4 on Columbo seasons 3, 4 and 5). Is that right or have I missed an episode somewhere? I ask because I believe the series pilot "Word Games" has not been released?
    It would great to get all the Mrs Columbo episodes (13 in all I believe) and hopefully they will all be delivered as extras on seasons 6 and 7 of the original Columbos and the later ones made in the 1990s (and beyond).

11. Paul Miller

Paul Miller Supporting Actor

I just finished up Season 4 and Columbo is a wonderful series, but I just noticed something, does Columbo hold the record for the most packaging changes? It started out as a digipack, then they released the next two seasons in two double sided DVD cases, and it looks like the fifth which I have yet to get started with comes in thinpacks.

Paul