What's new

Columbo Coming to Blu-ray on November 21, 2023. See Post #55! (1 Viewer)

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Just don't like the fact they're splitting the sets. Money grab. The Japanese release is complete and in a classy cigarette case made of balsa wood. Just do comprehensive sets. Stop with the piece work.

Paramount was notorious for this. Took them nearly 9 years to release half seasons of Dynasty. Dumb, really dumb!

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
Just don't like the fact they're splitting the sets. Money grab. The Japanese release is complete and in a classy cigarette case made of balsa wood. Just do comprehensive sets. Stop with the piece work.

Paramount was notorious for this. Took them nearly 9 years to release half seasons of Dynasty. Dumb, really dumb!

I prefer that two sets format because I only like the Seventies era at NBC. I’m not obliged to get the latter seasons.
It’s like Space: 1999 with its two antagonistic seasons.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
The trouble with a complete set is that the price point would be higher than a lot of people could afford. Which means they'd sell fewer sets than if they released several smaller sets.

That's also a good point.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
looking forward to see int the specs and everything involved in these releases, as for the NBC Era release hope that they can include the NBC Mystery Movie Intro Clip as one of the bonus features.

Just basing this off of the other great TV releases from them, I hope to expect a lot of commentaries, and a fan pleasing set that all of Us have been waiting on!

As to the aspect of having the set split into two separate releases, I agree that a single release would have a higher price point that would make it somewhat prohibitive, even discounted heavily, and that doesn't help Kino, when trying to acquire other titles, there has to be a balance, two releases reasonably priced would seem to fit that bill. IMO

aside from that guess I will continue to hold out hope that someone, anyone will have the common decency to finally release The Complete Alfered Hitchcock Presents / Hour, one of these years from the restorations that was discussed a couple of years ago for broadcast on Peacock

There are hints that they also have another Mystery series from Universal as well, but it's a later series, so Murder, She Wrote, Monk or Psych would all be welcomed additions.

Last edited:

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Ellery Queen and Battlestar Galactica (redo) would be my top 3 choices for any future Universal Blu-Ray releases. Some upgrades of "Dragnet", "Adam-12" and "Emergency!" would be great too. The latter did get post-fire remasterings but only S6 and the post-series movies were released on DVD remastered. The "complete" DVD sets just recycled the older junk transfers for the earlier seasons that existed pre-fire.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
About the splitting of sets.

For the DVDs, the 70s era uses 18 discs, while the later era uses 12 discs.

Even with some configuration changes, we are still looking at large number of discs per release for each set (and probably multiple cases per release).

Without a configuration change, this is five times the size of Kolchak (which had an SRP of $100, but was sold for approximately $60). Imagine five times the SRP (vs three times and two times). Now I'm not saying the price structures are necessarily comparable, but it is something to consider.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
About the splitting of sets.

For the DVDs, the 70s era uses 18 discs, while the later era uses 12 discs.

Even with some configuration changes, we are still looking at large number of discs per release for each set (and probably multiple cases per release).

Without a configuration change, this is five times the size of Kolchak (which had an SRP of $100, but was sold for approximately $60). Imagine five times the SRP (vs three times and two times). Now I'm not saying the price structures are necessarily comparable, but it is something to consider.
These sets have already paid for themselves a hundred times over in cable rentals and home video issues and re-re-re-re-reissues. The only reason to divide a set which is already available overseas in complete form, is to maximize the profits. Not shaming Kino for this. But let's just call it what it is.

Two sets, each retailing for $89 (as example, not saying that's what they are) is $178.

Now, consider this: Paramount Home Video packaged 11 full seasons of Frasier into one box set (so, 264 episodes) for $100. Doing the math, that's about $2.64 per episode. (Aside: it's actually retailing for less at some deep discount retailers).

Now, Columbo, in its totality of 35 years only has 69 episodes. What are the odds Kino's half series set of approximately 34 episodes will retail for under $50 (the original cost of each Night Gallery season released by them)? My guess is not likely.

So, at a bare minimum, we're probably looking at $60-80 for half the series. Which, with taxes included, brings me back to my initial rough estimate of $178 for both halves (or thereabouts).
Whatever they charge, it's still a heck of a lot cheaper than the Japan set, presently retailing for upwards of $360!!!

But it's still overpriced.

1678393349283.png

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
These sets have already paid for themselves a hundred times over in cable rentals and home video issues and re-re-re-re-reissues.
They haven't paid for themselves with Kino! They're trying to make a profit on these releases as they help fund future releases. It was Kino's decision to split the Columbo stuff into two boxsets.

justarandomstan

Second Unit
Real Name
Stan
If Kino is producing episode commentaries for all 69 episodes plus tons of other special features, you think that is free? And just because the remastering has paid for itself via cable deals and everything, it doesn't mean that Kino didn't have to pay a hefty fee to license the show in the first place.

I think that you're being very cynical about this, Nick, I'm sorry.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Ellery Queen and Battlestar Galactica (redo) would be my top 3 choices for any future Universal Blu-Ray releases. Some upgrades of "Dragnet", "Adam-12" and "Emergency!" would be great too. The latter did get post-fire remasterings but only S6 and the post-series movies were released on DVD remastered. The "complete" DVD sets just recycled the older junk transfers for the earlier seasons that existed pre-fire.

Mostly, yes-- some third-season episodes were pretty good quality, mixed in with the junk; most of the fourth season (outside of "905-WILD") was the junk; and all of the fifth one was junk (not in the bad meaning of the word, but used to refer to the bad transfers).

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The first two seasons were better because they'd been remastered in the early 90s for Columbia House video club VHS releases and so too some S3 episodes I think (the giveaway is if it has the original opening credits and not the S6 one for syndication). The other transfers from S3 to S5 dated back to the early 80s I think and that's why they looked so awful (the transfers for "It Takes A Thief" dated from the same period I think).

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
These sets have already paid for themselves a hundred times over in cable rentals and home video issues and re-re-re-re-reissues. The only reason to divide a set which is already available overseas in complete form, is to maximize the profits. Not shaming Kino for this. But let's just call it what it is.

Two sets, each retailing for $89 (as example, not saying that's what they are) is $178.

Now, consider this: Paramount Home Video packaged 11 full seasons of Frasier into one box set (so, 264 episodes) for $100. Doing the math, that's about $2.64 per episode. (Aside: it's actually retailing for less at some deep discount retailers).

But Paramount owns Frasier. And Universal owns Columbo. So Universal has already made back their investment on that show with the individual season sets on DVD. So releasing a Complete Series set on DVD is gravy for them, and they can sell it for a low price. But that's DVD. Blu-ray discs need to be re-authored. So even if Universal did nothing but slap the eps on discs and called it a day, they'd still charge more than they would a DVD set.

But Kino doesn't own the show. So, first, they need to shell out money to Universal for the rights to do it. Then they're adding in a substantial number of extras, which also cost money. And they need to charge a fair amount in order to get their return on investment.

Now, Columbo, in its totality of 35 years only has 69 episodes. What are the odds Kino's half series set of approximately 34 episodes will retail for under $50 (the original cost of each Night Gallery season released by them)? My guess is not likely.

Not quite equivalent. Keep in mind that the Columbo episodes are all (sans commercials) 75- to 90-minutes apiece. So, more discs than an 40- 50-minute show would need.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
The other transfers from S3 to S5 dated back to the early 80s I think and that's why they looked so awful (the transfers for "It Takes A Thief" dated from the same period I think).

Didn't know they went back that far.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Hardly the most visually resplendent series of all time - Jack Webb as a director was no Michael Powell (ha) - but I have to admit to wanting upgraded blu rays of 60s/70s Dragnets !

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
But Paramount owns Frasier. And Universal owns Columbo. So Universal has already made back their investment on that show with the individual season sets on DVD. So releasing a Complete Series set on DVD is gravy for them, and they can sell it for a low price. But that's DVD. Blu-ray discs need to be re-authored. So even if Universal did nothing but slap the eps on discs and called it a day, they'd still charge more than they would a DVD set.

But Kino doesn't own the show. So, first, they need to shell out money to Universal for the rights to do it. Then they're adding in a substantial number of extras, which also cost money. And they need to charge a fair amount in order to get their return on investment.

Not quite equivalent. Keep in mind that the Columbo episodes are all (sans commercials) 75- to 90-minutes apiece. So, more discs than an 40- 50-minute show would need.
Still nowhere near the amount of discs it takes to remaster shows like Cheers or Frasier.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Still nowhere near the amount of discs it takes to remaster shows like Cheers or Frasier.

Checked the Amazon listings since it's easiest. Cheers complete is 110 hours, 20ish minutes, Frasier is 98 hours, 15 minutes, Columbo is... 100 hours, 1 minute.

I don't know what we're all aiming for here, but as far as content goes, Columbo may only have 69 episodes but those 69 episodes are comparable to 260+ 20ish minute sitcom episodes and would likely require as many discs as Cheers or Frasier overall unless someone like VEI was handling the release.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks