Columbia's Packaging

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John GB, Aug 31, 2001.

1. John GB

John GB Stunt Coordinator

So I'm standing there in Costco, eyeballing the new release of Ghandi. Really beautiful packaging, but I'm looking for specs.
    Anamorphic Widescreen Good!
    Languages: English Dolby Digital, French, Spanish.
    No mention of 5.1 surround anywhere. I buy it, take it home, load the disk and go to the setup menu. Again, no mention of 5.1 surround.
    Fortunately it is in 5.1, but Columbia just calls it Dolby Digital (which you all know can mean anything from mono to 6.1 channels of sound.)
    This is not a good packaging trend, in my opinion. If it's in 5.1, let the buyer know this before purchasing.
    ps. The 5.1 track is beautiful! Not much LFE in the movie itself, but very good directional use of the surrounds.
    This is a great presentation of a great film at a great price $16.99. I am just being nitpicky about the term Dolby Digital on the packaging and the DVD Setup Menu.
    ------------------

2. John GB

Sorry, I meant Gandhi, not Ghandi. [​IMG]
    ------------------

3. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

If you would have had your Little Orphan Annie Secret Decoder Ring, you wouldnt have had this problem now, would you?! [​IMG]
    Be sure to drink your Ovaltine!

4. John GB

5. Larry Gardner

Larry Gardner Stunt Coordinator

I agree. And I'm continually amazed that they still can't get their act together on their Scene Selection menus. SO many of their DVDs are all off by one.
    From Scene Selection you have to add one to each of the chapter numbers to actually get what you want. However, when actually playing the film, the chapter encoding works correctly. You would think that something as easy as testing whether or not the jump from Scene Selection to chapter requested would be caught in quality control testing of the DVD master.
    I have reported this to CTHV over and over. Nobody seems to care.