Columbia's "Deluxe Edition" = LAME

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marc Colella, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

DVDFile reports that Columbia will be releasing something called the Deluxe Edition.
    http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-....html#03132002
    The first 2 releases will be Men in Black (specs unknown) and Stuart Little (in full-frame only).
    What the hell is up with Columbia?
    God forbid they attend to some titles that are unavailable on DVD.

2. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

This is just getting ridiculous. MIB:LE is one of the best discs on the market. There is absolutely NO NEED for a Deluxe Edition.

3. Jon_W

Jon_W Stunt Coordinator

I think we all need to get used to re-releases as DVD goes more and more into the mainstream. I agree that there are other movies Columbia could re-release instead. Funnuy enough Columbia is probably the best studio at re-releasing poor quality DVDs with new SEs, ala Legends of the Fall. Simple thing to do is not buy any release you think is superflous and forget it exists

4. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Kind of like the Jimi Hendrix catalog on CD. How many times can we "remaster" this and put it out there and people will pay $$$ for it? [​IMG]

5. Paul Chi

Paul Chi Stunt Coordinator

Do you know if the new Memento, 2 disc special edition, is going to be a Deluxe Edition?

6. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    MIB is being re-released to coincide with the theatrical release of MIB II and, according to Columbia's ad in Video Business, will contain teasers/previews of the sequel.
    DJ

7. rhett

rhett Supporting Actor

First Ultimate Editions to conincide with theatrical sequels, now this?! Please! I own the MIB:LE and will definitely not be buying the Deluxe Editions of either title, but I do feel for the people who will be buying it. I don't know what a bigger insult from Columbia is, this or Superbit. [​IMG]

8. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Second Unit

I WISH C-T would put out an MIB Superbit Deluxe instead of a Deluxe Edition...the current transfer SUCKS.

9. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

10. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

So the true purpose of the Deluxe Edtion is... ad's!

11. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Hey atleast Superbit offers a minimal improvement in quality! This is just PR bullshit, through and through.

12. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

13. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Lets see.. The New MIB super-duper edition is supposed to have trailers and teasers for MIB2 on it? Funny, My MIB-LE has that already. Is this Just the MIB-LE DVD set being rereleased in new packaging without the LE designation so can can sell it forever , thus not abusing the term LE?
    (If you could follow this, you've probably already been suckered into one too many rebuys[​IMG] )
    Stuart Little....Lets see. Nope, still don't have any kids. Never saw it in the theater, never rented the movie. Don't plan on buying the New DVD. So if the made 52 versions it probably wouldnt bother me. Of course I'm not the target audience either.... But if the force me to rebuy The Howling, and the new dvd still doesn't have a Rob Bottin commentary..Heads will roll!

14. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

you guys have got this all wrong...
    Columbia Tristar 'Deluxe Edition' = Universal 'Ultimate Edition'
    Except instead of adding features... they seem to be subtracting them [​IMG]

15. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

16. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I wonder what the Black Hawk Down DVD will be like.

17. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

18. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Am I the only one here would like like a MIB without so many artifacts? The transfer is good - but too many artifacts! Maybe they can improve this problem.

19. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

I wouldn't mind re-buying Men in Black if the new version was a 2-disc Superbit version, with the film on one disc (with DTS audio), and all the extras (and preferably some new ones) on the other.
    I've already had to choose between the Limited Edition version (with extra features) and the existing DTS version (without), and a new version could offer the best of both versions.
    The transfer is more or less acceptable, so any improvement that Superbit re-mastering might offer would also be welcome.
    What I don't want to see is a Men in Black Super Ultimate Edition issued when Men in Black II comes out on DVD!

20. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Julian- If Columbia follows their current track record I bet you that that's what will happen when MIB II is released.

EDIT: I'm glad Columbia hasn't followed the recent tradition (as far as I know) of adding lame titles after the sequel number.