Columbia: Why will '84 Charing X Road' be in full-screen only?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bruce Morrison, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison Supporting Actor

Columbia have just announced '84 Charing Cross Road' for release in May. This is a film I've been hoping they would get around to (Anthony Hopkins, Anne Bancroft and a touching true story). However, I'm very disappointed to see that they are releasing it in full-screen only - why are they suddenly reverting to the bad old days?

I don't know whether the film was shot with an open matte but, even if it was, people should still be given the option to watch it in the 1.85 ratio in which it was presented in theatres (and presumably the ratio intended by the director).

2. Rain

Rain Producer

As is being discussed in this thread, it may be an error.
    However, if it isn't, this would seem to confirm that Columbia does not understand the DVD market at all.
    You see, Columbia, film buffs have no interest in having movies formatted to fit a 4x3 TV. They (we) want releases in their original aspect ratios.
    Formatting a movie for a 4x3 TV is something you do to please Joe Six Pack, the non-film buff, who wants to light up his whole screen. (In such cases, of course, an original aspect ratio version should still be made available.)
    But, Columbia, maybe you should try going out and rounding up a few Joe Six Packs to ask them if they plan to buy 84 Charing Cross Road on DVD. You may be surprised to find that they've never heard of this movie nor do they care a bit about it.
    So you see, if you are releasing this movie formatted for a 4x3 TV, you really may as well not release it at all. Who do you think is going to buy it?
    I would have bought this DVD in a second if it were released properly, but since it doesn't look like it will be, I'll spend that money on a DVD some other studio has done right.