What's new

Columbia: What happened to Enigma? (1 Viewer)

DustinDavis

Stunt Coordinator
Columbia Tri-Star Home Video,
I own many CTHV discs including some with highly regarded video quality such as Black Hawk Down, Fifth Element (Superbit), and Starship Troopers.
This left me all the more surprised after watching Enigma. I can only ask--what the heck happened? The video quality on this disc is positively appalling, and among the worst I have seen among recent releases, or for that matter not-so-recent releases. A long time ago the original Fifth Element disc set the standard for video quality. Years later, how could Columbia take such an incredible step back with Enigma?
When I watched the disc myself, I noticed that it was plagued with halos, moire, compression artifacts, and a general lack of detail. These are not a result of an intentionally soft image, but rather appear to be the result of carelessness and a lack of quality control.
The folks at DVD Review and Home Theater Talk seem to agree:
http://www.dvdreview.com/fullreviews/enigma.shtml
http://www.hometheatertalk.com/ubb/F...ML/001500.html
I am a fan of CTHVs DVD efforts, so I am certain that we'll see another high-quality transfer in the Special Edition release of Enigma, which I understand will be released sometime in the not-too-distant future. Let's hope so--Enigma is the first recent DVD that I've watched and loved the content, but refused to buy based on the lack of video quality alone.
Regards,

Donald W

Stunt Coordinator
when I first read about Enigma coming to DVD it was listed as a SE then for some reason turned into a bare bones DVD...what did happen...and I'd have to agree that when I rented the DVD it looked like a washed out VHS copy of the film and not a DVD at all...lets hope that CTHV goes back and fixes this because this is one of the better films that has came out this year

DustinDavis

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I just watched the new Enigma DVD and I can say that the video issues appear to be fixed. Thanks CTHV for rectifying the situation and putting out a quality reissue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks