What's new

Columbia Tristar: most opposite-of-improved studio (1 Viewer)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Bill, we all hear you, but the reissue of Matilda is a reissue. They screwed it up the first time and now they are doing it again!

You make it sound like issuing a MAR'd releae is an accident. That just isn't true.

Glenn

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
I can't even buy the original Annie disc anymore!

Andy_MT

Second Unit
but it's not just a few bad dvds. it's this whole sloppy bucket approach to their dvd market at the moment that concerns me ... off the top of my head ...

1. faulty audio on many of their recent A-list releases (crackling on center channel)
2. P&S only releases
3. poor quality overly compressed tv product
4. poor presentations of lesser mainstream product

1 & 2 are just unforgivable. especially from one of the big HW studios. what's going on ? could this all be related to sony and saving $$$ etc. ?

PS : you can get annie (saw it at movietyme last) - i understand the framing issues have been fixed.

PPS : how can you label a DVD "special edition" when it's P&S only ? i think "crap edition" is more fitting, or failing that, "Joe 6 Pack edition". but not special.

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
I've never much liked the fact that Columbia releases alot of its catalog titles (Macbeth, Dead Heat on a Merry Go Round) at a $24.95 price point. This is for a movie only disc for the most part. I know they can be had for cheaper online, but I'd rather pay $19.95 MSRP found online for $13 for a movie only disc. I'm still waiting on a price drop, hope they dont go out of print instead.

David, I thought I saw a letterboxed version of Trouble with Angels recently on Turner Classic Movies. This made me think that a letterboxed DVD might be forthcoming. Unfortunately, this would not appear to be the case if the rumors are true.

Universal definately deserves dishonorable mention for its forced trailers policy!!

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Saw yet another dual-format disc today reissued only with the pan and scan version: About Last Night.
They REALLY need to start explaining what's been going on lately.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
And those Three Stooges enthusiasts on this forum are getting sick of taking it in the keister every time one of their unrestored, occasionally-edited and very little bang-for-the-buck compilations (or worse-- CURLY JOE FILMS) get put out.

I was going to try and get "Annie" for my mother; forget it now.

Joshua_W

Second Unit
And, let us not forget that they also released "Party Girl" in a full-frame transfer at the $24.95 price point. :angry:
"Party Girl" is an indie flick, and there is no excuse whatsoever for releasing it non-OAR. In fact, from what I've read, it's the same poor quality transfer used on the Canadian edition I bought for five dollars.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks