Columbia/Tristar: Jolson Story & Jolson Sings Again

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eugene Esterly, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly Supporting Actor

Columbia/Tristar,

I have a request. My grandfather owns Jolson Story & Jolson Sings Again on VHS & he asked me to check online to see if these 2 movies are on DVD but they are not. My grandfather would easily pick up these 2 movies when they are put onto DVD.

2. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
    Columbia,

Just so you know, the Jolson films have not been forgotten by the younger generations. I would love to see the Technicolor images of these two films restored for DVD. And I know several other fans who would gladly line up for these as well.

Jon

3. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    The Jolson Story was remastered a few years ago and a Stereo Soundtrack was made up, I believe, using the various original mono recording stems.

This version had a limited theatrical release and was the one presented on Laserdisc. It looks really nice and has the Stereo soundtrack.

On the other hand the laserdisc of "Jolson sings again" looks woeful and would urgently need to be cleaned up, if it was ever to appear on DVD.

Considering that "The Jolson Story" was one of Columbia's biggest ever Box-Office hits, it's incredible that it has not yet appeared on DVD.

I would certainly buy it and I'm no Grandfather (Well only just one maybe)