Columbia TriStar DVD's and Warning Message

Discussion in 'DVD' started by DavidEC, Jun 10, 2003.

1. DavidEC

DavidEC Stunt Coordinator

I have a RCA DRS700N Scenium Progressive Scan DVD player.

And the last two releases ['Darkness Falls' and 'Tears Of The Sun'] that I have purchased that were "Columbia TriStar" releases will not start playing the movie from the main menu..

When I select "Play Movie" from the main menu I get a warning message about the "Commentary" which "Loops" and does not allow me to do anything other than to turn off the DVD player and restart....

I can go into the "Scene Selection" and start the movie which bypasses the warning message.

Does anybody else have this troubles??

How can I contact "CTS/Sony" so that they can investigate this error?

--David

2. JonathanSimpson

JonathanSimpson Stunt Coordinator

david, i have not posted for quite some time but this issue is really bugging me also, the last few columbia tristar disc's i have bought have had the exact same problem. example 'the people vs larry flynt-special edition' which was just re-released in may 2003, as a single disc edition. loads with no problem at all, first screen is columbia tristar home entertainment then disc's main menu now if i was to press play movie from the main menu it them goes to the mpaa screen next to the fbi warning screen now comes the problem screen(interviews and commentaries are for entertainment only) which it will not move past exactly the same just a loop. however if i go to the scene selections from the disc's main menu no problem at all the film will start and play without a problem. so why do i still have a problem if there is a work around, there is for 'the people vs larry flynt' single disc but on my latest disc from columbia(black hawk down-3 disc deluxe edition) i have not been able to find a solution to disc's 2 and 3 in the set. disc 1 is identical to the 'larry flynt' disc(yes it wont play straight after i press play movie, but the above work around works , so i am happy, sort of) but on disc's 2 and 3 the warning screen (interviews and commentaries are for entertainment only) comes right at the very start of the loading process. no columbia front screen, no main menu no mpaa or fbi warning, just straight onto the warning screen, which does not allow you any function's via either the player itself or via the remote control(no main or sub menu navigation, no chapter select or forward, no title select, nothing) which in turn renders both disc's 2 and 3 useless, personally i cannot see it being a faulty disc's as the disc loads every time no problem(whereas other faulty disc's i have had in the past would either load and freeze at set times during the film or supplements or just would not load period) i have been following the black hawk down: se thread but as of yet i dont see anyone having the same problem as myself and david. there is another black hawk down thread over at dvdtalk.com but as of yet i dont see any comments similar to the ones david has posted and the ones in the above post. any additional info or if others are having similar problems please take a look.

the player i am currently using is via my pc dvd rom the pioneer 105f multi region modified.

jonathan

3. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

I had a similar problem with a movie, but I forget which one. I was Fast Forwarding through the commentary warning, then I would be led back to the main menu. But if I just let the warning run then I had no problems at all. I'm hoping to get BHD next week, I'll see if that is a similar problem.

4. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

tried just starting via chapter or scene selection?

but there are a few titles which loop if you try to skip the screens.

5. Travis_W

Travis_W Supporting Actor

I watched Tears of the Sun today and while the screen popped up I just continued to hit next on my remote-no problems whatsoever. You can also do this, when the disc gets to the menu hit stop, once it's at the main screen for your player, hit play and the movie will start right up.

6. Chris Will

Chris Will Screenwriter

Chris WIlliams
    I have a similar problem with some knew Vista Series DVDs. During the movie, usually around chapter 3, when it reaches the end of the chapter it freezes up like you paused it. I have to hit play again for the movie to continue. The thing that bugs me is that we all have owned CDs for many many years and I have never had a CD not play in one player or stop suddenly for no reason. The work fine unless you scratch them. I think it has something to do with the way DVDs are mastered and encoded. There is no set standard and each encoding company does it a different way. Some one in the DVD industry needs to figure out what exactly causes these little glitches and let the encoding companies and player manufacturers know. Then they need to create a set of standards and try to element these problems. I'm tired of spending hard earned money on a new DVD just to have it freeze up, stop suddenly or the main menu navigation not work. Honestly, I don't think companies care about the consumer enough to fix these problems. That is my 2 cents. By the way, my DVD player is a Sony DVPS9000ES.

7. DavidEC

DavidEC Stunt Coordinator