Columbia Tristar Anime?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chad Ferguson, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

I remember reading on dvdfile I think it was, under there studio report 2001. Columbia Tristar was going to push hard for Anime in 2002. My question is, what Animes do they own? I know they are releasing Metropolis soon.(March?) Also, I heard rumors that they own Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' On Heavens Door.(If true, please use the same Dub voices, they were awesome in series!) I think a major studio like this can easily put out better releases than places have, so I look forward to this.

Thanks

2. Chris Sypal

Chris Sypal Stunt Coordinator

Last I heard, Columbia had the theatrical rights to the Bebop movie. There was no word on who would do the actual translation/dubbing and video release.

FYI, Sony (who owns Columbia) released the movie in Japan.

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Expect the Bebop movie to be a WHILE coming. The plot deals with terrorists and biological weapons.

Hopefully the 35mm prints will be free from the American "talent". The big summer anime cons should be showing a subbed prints this year though.

4. Chad Ferguson

I saw the movie on VCD and while I see why they might delay it, they are bringing out Arnolds lastest one sooner than people expected. Would the fact that Sony is pushing for more Anime mean that this has a chance to go to all theaters? Cowboy Bebop is just an awesome series and the movie followed suit. Whoever owns the R1 DVD rights has a great gem on their hands, hopefully they don't drop it.

5. Chad Ferguson

I just read that Sony was trying to get North American rights to the film Spirited Away. This is case Disney refuses to release this film for some reason. Anyone confirm this?

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I know that Dreamworks is gunning for Spirited Away as well. Maybe if someone else gets it and it does great it might give DIsney the kick they need
    At least with Sony it stands a 60/40 chance of being OSL [​IMG]