What's new

Columbia/Tri-Star OAR petition: "We're looking into the matter." (1 Viewer)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Just to let you know, the typo on the petition has been corrected and the title "To Gillian On Her 37th Birthday" no longer reads "...32nd Birthday." Apologies for the error.

Of course it goes without saying that no other changes were made other than to correct the rather embarrassing typo.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Where'd you see the news item that PERFECT was being released in widescreen in the UK? I haven't seen any news on it and it isn't listed at Amazon.co.uk or Blackstar. I'm not doubting your news, just keen to read some actual confirmation of this, as it's a title I'd like to pick up.

At Bensonsworld, it is up for pre-order.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Okay, here is the address I plan to use for that letter I wrote (see my previous post):
[c]Howard Stringer
Chairman & Chief Executive Officer
Sony Corporation of America
550 Madison Ave
New York, NY 10022-3211[/c]
Here is a quote from Mr. Stringer's Executive Biography at the Sony site:
Mr. Stringer serves as Chairman of the American Film Institute Board of Trustees and is on the Board of Trustees of the Museum of Television and Radio and of NARAS (The National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences).
As the Chairman of the AFI Board of Trustees, I'm certain Mr. Stringer will be VERY interested in preserving film the way it was meant to be shown. I'm certain that is the position the AFI would insist that he take, in any case.
I will address my letter to his office, and add a small piece to address his responsibility in that area, as well as to his corporate sales of widescreen TV's. :)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
So,

did we determine that these "P/S" releases are really 16x9 anamorphic tranfers that just default to the P/S option for 4x3 users or are they literally P/S to start with?

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
David, are you forwarding the petition with your letter? I haven't formally presented it to them yet, as I was holding out for a few more sigs. Sounds like they know about it anyway.

I will be writing to them this weekend as well.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
David, are you forwarding the petition with your letter?
Nope; that's your job. I'm merely mentioning it in the context of my complaint.
And yes, they definately know about it there. When I obtained the address it was made clear that they are aware of the petition. :)
However, my letter is to SONY, not Columbia/TriStar. C/TS is who should receive the petition.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Yup, that's what I meant. I was just hoping you would reference it in your letter.

I'll be printing a hard copy of what's there so far to forward with mine.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Other studios should be sent copies of this petition, particularly Disney/Buena Vista since they seem to be headed towards pan and scan-only releases. They should ALL know this is not acceptable!

SteveK

Supporting Actor
Jesse- I've also thought that other studios should receive copies of the petition. Even though titles are obviously owned by specific studios, the comments in the petition are more general. Taken as a whole, they don't say "we want _____ in widescreen"; they say "We want ALL TITLES available in widescreen". Or more accurately, we want ALL TITLES released in their OAR.

Even though studios should already be aware that many people prefer OAR, I almost think it would be more effective for them to receive copies of a petition not intended for them than if it concerns one of their titles. At the very least, it might cause them to think twice about releasing a title in P&S only, lest they be subjected to the same criticism and complaints. I've read many of the comments on the petition, and I can't imagine why ANY studio would risk alienating so many ardent widescreen supporters. So I agree that copies should be sent to other studios, just so they're aware how many people detest P&S only releases.

Steve K.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I would be happy to send copies to any other studios that you guys feel should get one.
Please email me addresses for them if you can.
Thanks

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Video Store Magazine Article: Video’s Biggest Customer
Sources said Wal-Mart is largely responsible for the rapid price reductions on both VHS and DVD catalog product, as well as the growing number of DVD movies released in full-frame rather than widescreen.
"Wal-Mart wanted separate SKUs for full-frame and widescreen, and Wal-Mart got what it wanted," said another high-ranking studio executive.
Yes, we should make sure all studios are aware that we don't shop for MAR DVD's, whether at Wal-Mart or anywhere else. We should make sure that everyone at the studios understand that they have to appeal to Widescreen customers as well.
2800+ signatures ought to be hard to ignore, I would hope. Rain, anything new? Did you get in contact with Enrique yet? It's
[email protected] if that helps! :)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Sorry, I thought I mentioned this already. I did email Enrique and he said he would get back to me as soon as he hears more about Columbia/Tristar.
Right now, there isn't really any information beyond what's already been mentioned in this thread. :)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
New information:
I saw earlier today that DVD File is reporting this:
First up is Jane Fonda's last big-screen appearance in Old Gringo on 7/2, featuring anamorphic widescreen and full screen transfers, an English 4.0 surround track, and bonus trailers. Other titles coming from Columbia include Outside the Law on 6/25, Stan Lee's Mutants, Monsters & Marvels on 5/7, and Teenage Caveman on 7/2. Watch for full specs soon...
Both Teenage Caveman and Outside The Law appear to have 16x9 support as well as Old Gringo. The information comes from the same unnamable source as some of my recent box art posts, and ought to be fairly reliable (although I'll believe it fully when I see it with my own eyes). No word about the disc which contains "Stan Lee's Mutants, Monsters, and Marvels", but as I'm unfamiliar with this title (apparently the IMDB is as well), then there's no telling what the OAR for it is.
I can't say that this is a reaction to the petition or other feedback, as it is rather fast for items that surely were in the pipeline before the reaction to the MAR announcements surfaced.
Nevertheless, it is clearly good news.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
"Wal-Mart wanted separate SKUs for full-frame and widescreen, and Wal-Mart got what it wanted," said another high-ranking studio executive.

---------------------------------------

I read that article and wonder why that is- what advantage is there to separate releases??

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Every Wal-Mart I go to has an equal selection of OAR and MAR versions on dual releases. I think our main problem lies with studios too lazy to make seperate widescreen versions or put both versions on the same disc.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
In my letter to Sony's Chairman and CEO, Howard Stringer, I told him this:
I'm sure that Sony is always interested in why it has lost an HDTV sale valued at over $4000. I'm writing to inform you that I've decided NOT to purchase the KD-34XBR2 HDTV unit, and am instead planning to purchase a 16x9 HDTV from a competitor
Well, I carried out my threat and got my Panasonic 16x9 HDTV today...at half the price of Sony's model! The Sony model does do more, but the Panasonic model does EXACTLY what I want. It's just right for me. And - the last time I checked - I haven't seen any Panasonic DVD releases in non-OAR. :)
And yes, I've seen DVD's with Panasonic's name on them. This one comes to mind, though it's distributed by Image:
B00004RFAY.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

For anyone interested in how I bought my TV at $1200 off the list price, the details are here.
I hope this isn't too off-topic and "bragging"...but I thought it germain to the situation. Thanks,

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Panasonic has some deal going with Universal- some of their discs come with postcard-size ads for Panasonic portable DVD players, and the theater I worked at had special showings of Universal movies for people who bought Panasonic products at Fry's.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Panasonic has some deal going with Universal
Universal's national distribution center is just a couple of minutes away from where I work. It is an outsourced facility. Until recently, it was outsourced to...Panasonic! :)
Now I heard within the past few weeks that Panasonic sold that operation to Technicolor, so I suppose we won't see the Panasonic flyers inside Universal DVD's anymore.
But several ex-coworkers of mine who work there come by to visit from time to time, and a current coworker has a best friend who works there. So I intermittently get all KINDS of cool information. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks