What's new

Columbia Superbit: Commentary included? (1 Viewer)

PerryD

Supporting Actor
According to Link Removed Desperado, Air Force One, and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon are to include Director's commentary track, and Crouching Tiger will include a music video.
Here's a clip from Image's page for Crouching Tiger:
Audio commentary by director Ang Lee, screenwriter James Schamus, Coco Lee "A Love Before Time" Music Video, Trailer, Production Info, Production Stills & Costume designs, Filmography, Michelle Yeoh interview; "SuperBit" titles utilize double the normal bit rate digital encoding process which optimizes video quality while ,offering a choice of DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 audio

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I don't have my original CTHD DVD in front of me, but that looks almost like the same extras as before.
So, now I'm wondering if the only real quality difference in these SuperBits discs is the inclusion of a DTS track.
Hmmm...
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

Cary

Stunt Coordinator
I think a better assumption is that who ever entered the new titles into their database simply kept the old title features list. The press release and selling sheet made it rather clear that extras were dropped to assign the space to video and audio coding.

SteveMc

Stunt Coordinator
I think Cary is right, all extras were supposed to be dropped. At the bit rates they are encoding at theres no way to fit them on there.
------------------
Crash
"I don't even own a gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate an entire rack."
Help us get the Friday the 13th films-UNCUT. Click Here or here

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
So they drop the extras for more bits, then add a half rate DTS, which just sucks up the bit rate again. What the hell is the point?! Either release these with FULL "DTS" ONLY and no DD5.1, or NO DTS and DD5.1 only. It is a waste of space to have two English 5.1 soundtracks. The current DVD has the DD5.1 track, so anyone that has no DTS capabilities can buy it.
If SUPERBIT is to really, truly give us the highest VIDEO quality, then ONE soundtrack is all we should have. Now that I own a larger TV (47" Panny HDTV), compression artifacts are far more noticeable and annoying as hell. Titles that I used to think were great (HEAT) now look like glorified VCD's. Yeah, I am being harsh, but some of these titles are clearly starved for space. Not everything looks like GLADIATOR and PLEASANTVILLE.
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman
[Edited last by Matt_Stevens on August 21, 2001 at 09:00 PM]

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Either release these with FULL "DTS" ONLY and no DD5.1, or NO DTS and DD5.1 only. It is a waste of space to have two English 5.1 soundtracks. The current DVD has the DD5.1 track, so anyone that has no DTS capabilities can buy it.
Yes! Let's fuck over the people who don't have DTS capabilities but want better picture quality!
rolleyes.gif

Also, CTHV should've put both full bit rate DD and DTS tracks, and they wouldn't have to sacrifice that much picture quality.
------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed - DVD Reviewer
Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks