Columbia spoon feeds dvd onto cereal boxes

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by oscar_merkx, Jul 18, 2002.

1. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

2. Andy_MT

Andy_MT Second Unit

is this possible ? columbia makes a good (marketing) decision. i've seen it all now. new management ?????

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

4. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

I guess this would be a case of eating too much cereal since you will never know if you have purchased one cereal too many. you could always use the leftover dvds as coasters or flyers.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Travis D

Travis D Second Unit

I remember loving Cinnamon Toast Crunch as a kid. I think I could change from Fruity Pebbles for a while. [​IMG]

6. David Lambert

Hey, I have a 4-year old in the house. There's never too much cereal around! [​IMG]

7. LeeL

LeeL Stunt Coordinator

I dunno if it happened in the States or not, but up here in the frozen wilderness of Canada, Kellogg's had a DVD promotion with Air Bud, Air Bud 2, The Cobbler and the Thief, and another kid flick all tossed into boxes of Corn Pops, Rice Krispies, etc.

They were utterly bareboned discs, P&S (although they DID have full-color disc art!), but they were free. And right now at Liquidation World, they have about 100 CASES of the cereal still on shelves, for about $2.49 a box, DVDs still included.

Yes, they're P&S, yes they're crappy movies. But they're free, and they definitely helped along the migration for some people from VHS to DVD. And that can't be a bad thing.

8. Andy_MT

Andy_MT Second Unit

how is this a BAD move ? don't think these are targeted for die-hard collectors. it's a good way to promote DVD (childrens' product) to family households. and so what if you have to buy the cereal to get a title you want. how much is a box of cereal these days ???? no, it's not perfect, but sure beats columbias' other moves lately.

9. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

10. David Lambert

11. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I remember when they had a record printed on the back of Capn Crunch boxes that you could cut out and play, but my mom still wouldn't buy it for me cuz she never let me eat "sugar cereal" [​IMG] I had to settle for the gross stuff like Grape Nuts that never came with any free junk!
    I'm TOTALLY there with these, even though I don't eat cereal for breakfast anymore I'll have to start again! The more "adult" cereals should come with movie trailer discs and educational pieces on the technical stuff.
    BTW does this mean THX Cereal is coming? [​IMG]

12. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

13. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I'm gonna keep them in whatever packaging they come in- might even save the whole cereal box!

14. SpenceJT

SpenceJT Second Unit

Jeff Spencer
    This is great for DVD hardware awareness and penetration but bad for us on the pro OAR bandwagon.
    Given the fact that DVD's have reached a point of saturation where they will be given away in cereal boxes I would surmise that DVD players have become a standard part of most every Home Theater enthusiast. It is safe to say that most HT enthusiasts favor OAR. With this in mind, the marketing campain will push the DVD format further into the mainstream, and into the hands of J6P, ergo more DVD owners un-educated to the benefits of OAR.
    Like I said, good news for the DVD format. ...bad news for OAR. We are going to have to step up the effort to educate, and open the eyes of the non-believer! [​IMG]
    Spence

15. D. Scott MacDonald

D. Scott MacDonald Supporting Actor

Concerning the Columbia promotion (and not the Canadian one with Kellogg's), I'm not sure if this is hurting OAR or not. What is the OAR of "Bear in the Big Blue House" and the Jackie Chan cartoons? They say the Muppets, but does this mean the Muppet movies or something else? I suspect that most of this content was created in 4:3, so P&S wouldn't be much of an issue.

16. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

Exactly what is the OAR of a cereal box????

17. David Lambert

I betcha it turns out to be The Muppet Show or maybe even Muppets Tonight (ha ha). Anyway, I betcha it's all TV-on-DVD stuff and all 4:3 content.

18. SpenceJT

SpenceJT Second Unit

Jeff Spencer
    My point is not about the software, but rather about market penetration of the hardware.

The cereal box DVD campain will further push DVD hardware into homes of of the J6P.

More J6P DVD owners = buying more FullFrame/Pan & Scan DVDs.

19. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

They should letterboxed movies in the next batch of cereal boxes then! Don't they do cereal commercials in letterbox now?
    In fact, how bout putting out one lucky DVD that when played will say "Congratulations, you win a new widescreen TV!" Anyone remember the cardboard McDonald's records that were put in the Sunday newspaper in 1989 (the very last time records were used in a promotion I think) and ONE record out of several thousand had a message saying that the listener had won a million dollars. There was a similar promotion in Quaker granola bars a couple years before that; I still have all the non-winning records from that with bits about music history.
    BTW I've heard they've come up with a "soundsheet" version of CDs, made of flexible paper-like plastic- can't wait to see those. There were some 1-sided prototype laserdiscs that were flexible too.