Columbia releasing All in the Family (other than through Columbia House) in March??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott_J, Dec 31, 2001.

1. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

For those of you (like myself) who are contemplating getting the All in the Family discs through Columbia House, you may want to wait before doing so. I just noticed the following quote from DVDShrine's home page:

2. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Yes! Yes! Oh god yes! If this is true, Columbia House can forget their four-episode-per disc $25 collection.

Now I want to see the following Columbia/TriStar TV series released:

Bewitched (8 seasons)

I Dream of Jeannie (5 seasons)

Maude (6 seasons)

Sanford & Son (6 seasons)

Good Times (6 seasons)

The Jeffersons (11 seasons!)

One Day at a Time (9 seasons)

Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman (325 episodes)

Fernwood 2Night/America 2Night (130 episodes)

What's Happening (3 seasons, plus a 3 season sequel)

Soap (4 seasons and 4 retrospectives)

Benson (7 seasons)

Diff'rent Strokes (8 seasons)

The Facts of Life (9 seasons)

Archie Bunker's Place (4 seasons)

Silver Spoons (5 seasons)

Punky Brewster (4 seasons)

227 (5 seasons)

Designing Women (7 seasons)

Married with Children (11 seasons)

The Critic (2 seasons)

For some of them I'm not exactly holding my breath, but it would be a nice gesture nonetheless.

3. Beast

Beast Second Unit

God, I sure hope this is true, this is one of my favorite TV shows of all time. Hopefully it's a complete season boxset, and not just a repackaging of the curret DVD's from Columbia house.
    And I agree, most of those would make fine releases. I would definatly buy Married with Children, The Critic, Archie Bunker's Place, I dream of Jeannie, and Bewitched.
    Come on all you studios, give us our TV on DVD. [​IMG]
    MTFBWY and HH!!
    Mike Cameron

4. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Matthew thats alot of Television on DVD.
    If your wishes came true, would you buy every disc requested? [​IMG]
    I really hope All in the Family is released by season. I hate doing a long time CH club especially at their ridiculous pricing.
    J

5. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    If it turns out to be true, I hope they follow suit with Sanford and Son. I'm dying to have that on DVD, but I just don't think I can stomach the Columbia House model. Season boxes are the only way to go for TV.

While we're at it, does anyone know who owns the rights to Leave it to Beaver? That's another series I would love to own.

6. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

"Leave It To Beaver" is Universal.

As for my Columbia/TriStar television DVDs, I agree with the following titles:

Soap

Diff'rent Strokes

The Facts of Life

Silver Spoons

Punky Brewster

Designing Women

Married With Children

I also wish to add:

-"Square Pegs" (1 Season, and a damn fine one at that. I want to see the Pac-Man exorcism episode that guest starred Father Guido Sarducci on DVD.)

Sincerely,

John "Yes, I'm only 19. I recorded the episodes off Nick-At-Nite last year. Tracy Nelson looked hot back then, and personally, I'd still take her now" Kilduff

7. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg

8. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

While I bless this thread's intent, listing all of those great shows that I'd be THRILLED to have come out on DVD, right now I'd settle for a decent series of Season Box Sets of All In The Family.
    And perhaps Married With Children next, if all of this is true... [​IMG] (see my sig)

9. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

I received a reply to my e-mail. He said he did some research, and it IS the TV series they are releasing. He also said he should have more info on it by next week. Let's hope it's a season set and not a best-of.

10. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Yay! Good news, especially on the holiday! Keep us posted!

11. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

Don't they own the rights to SEINFELD?

I heard one of the reasons Seinfeld is not on DVD right now is because Columbia-Tristar don't believe in releasing TV shows on DVD? If this is true about this show, maybe Seinfeld has hope for DVD in the future.

12. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

13. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    TV Land showed the First Episode or was it the Pilot, "Meet the Bunkers" last night I taped it and watched parts this morning. I'd definately buy at least the first season if released , really funny stuff. In my opininon they made Archie a bit too loveable toward the series run , but I guess every character has to grow, and of course having a grandchild I guess would do that to you.

14. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian
    This is AWESOME news, especially if it's a first season boxed set. Although, if it's not, I may continue with my Columbia House subscription, which at least is being issued chronologically by season.

15. Beast

Beast Second Unit

DVD Angle is listing more information on this release. I hope their running time is a little off or it can't be the first season. (Note there is 13 Episodes in Season 1, According to TVguide.com.) But I'll paste the info they have.
    Lastly, from CTHE, the classic TV series All in the Family will make a DVD bow for $24.95. Running a total of 286 minutes, there is no word if this is the first season or a "best of" compilation. We'll have to wait and see!
    MTBFWY and HH!!
    Mike

16. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

Mike, thanks for the info from DVDAngle. According to my calculator, 13 episodes @ 22 minutes each is 286 minutes. But a couple things don't seem right about it.
    A.) Weren't shows longer than 22 minutes in the 70s? Hopefully that running time is a typo, and they're not the edited episodes that currently air in syndication and on cable.
    B.) That $24.95 MSRP seems kind of low for an entire season, especially with the $50.95 MSRP Columbia has given their release of season 1 (also 13 episodes) of The Larry Sanders Show.
    Hopefully, we'll get some definitive answers soon regarding this release.

17. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian
    You're right... On my Columbia House All in the Family, the episodes are about 25 minutes each. Course, it's always possible that they cut out the opening credits on all but the first show, since they were all identical.

18. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Yes, the episodes should be about 25-26 minutes. If they are not uncut I will have nothing to do with this set. Cutting the opening credits (blasphemy) would only bring it down to about 24 minutes.

The correct length should be somewhere in the vicinity of 325 minutes.

There were some VHS videotapes from Columbia TriStar that were uncut, but they were in EP speed!

19. Beast

Beast Second Unit

Anyone come up with any new info regarding this release? I really hope that it's the complete first season and DVDangle just screwed up the running time. They did the same thing with the M*A*S*H release originally, so that's giving me hope. Hopefully one of you has some definate info about this release.

20. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I got the Columbia House disc today, and skimmed the episodes. I am pretty impressed with the quality considering that the show originated on 1970s 2" videotape. The episodes are uncut.

If Columbia TriStar does not release the episodes uncut, I will continue with my subscription set.