What's new

Columbia- Please release A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS and NICHOLAS AND ALEXANDER on bluray. (1 Viewer)

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
These period pieces would look stunning on bluray.Sorry that's ALEXANDRA.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by ToddF /t/315958/columbia-please-release-a...nicholas-and-alexander-on-bluray#post_3867489

No wonder the Romanovs couldn't kill Rasputin. He was a frickin' Time Lord!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I gotta get new glasses. I read the subject line as "Columbia Press Release-etc". Imagine my disappointment when I opened the thread.:D

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
The 70mm print of Nicholas shown in the UK if i remember was 5-track Mono.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Nicholas and Alexandra is an interesting case, and notes point toward the film being monaural.

There were only two 70mm blow-ups produced, both of the Odeon Leicester Square -- the second being a stand-by back-up copy.

In 35mm, there were ten magnetic prints, but in 3-track, and on standard optical perf stock, which does not point toward stereo.

RAH

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I saw this in mid town manhattan 35mm stereo I saw itin my little home town of Elmira, New York - also 35mm stereo with muchon surrounds. If it played in my little town in stereo, it surely had to be a wide stereo release.

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
I would love to see N&A in blu ray. Saw it at the movies many years ago, and while I recognize its faults, I still enjoyed the sense of period immersion. As well, it seemed to me that the movie was much more critical of the couple than the source text, which tended to soft-pedal their self-absorption and lack of intelligence. Well worth a release, I'd think. Schaffner always had an excellent eye for composition, especially landscapes, and a bit of flair for visual story-telling – see, for example, the first 20 minutes or so of Boys From Brazil, which is (so far as I remember) almost entirely dialogue-free. Where am I going with this? A Schaffner boxed set of blu-rays (most of which are already available): Boys From Brazil; a re-mastered Patton; Planet of the Apes; N&A; and Papillon. All that's need to complete the set is N&A.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS and NICHOLAS AND ALEXANDER on bluray.

Add Lawrence of Arabia, Oliver! and Funny Girl and you have the crown jewels in Columbia's pre-1970 Color Catalog

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
GMpasqua said:
A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS and NICHOLAS AND ALEXANDER on bluray. Add Lawrence of Arabia, Oliver! and Funny Girl and you have the crown jewels in Columbia's pre-1970 Color Catalog
I'm 100% positive that LOA is coming in 2012 for the 50th Anniversary. And I'm also sure that Robert Harris cannot comment on this...as yet!

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Johnny Angell said:
I gotta get new glasses. I read the subject line as "Columbia Press Release-etc". Imagine my disappointment when I opened the thread.:D
Me too...! A Man For All Seasons on blu would be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks