What's new

Columbia: PLEASE FIX HOLY GRAIL SE! (1 Viewer)

Chris M

Second Unit
FYI I have the Tosh 2710 and don't see the inital subtitle under the Title, but I have no problem with other subs showing up when they shouldn't.
Thanks,
Chris.

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
On my Toshiba SD-5109, the subtitles go on at every chapter break even if they are turned off. This is the only disc I've ever had this kind of problem with.
Gregory

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
This is the first problem I have ever had with my Sony 550. This week I have purchased three of your titles: On The Waterfront, Final Fantasy, and The Holy Grail. I was a happy man 'till I noticed that a subtitle was missing, and then I was even further annoyed when the english subs kept randomly popping up. Like someone else metioned above, I was going to buy several copies for friends during the holidays but that won't be happening unless these issues get addressed.
------------------
-Dwayne

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Count me in. The first time I watched the film I had the Henry IV subtitles turned on so I didn't notice any problem. However after reading about the defects, I went and tested the disc in my Sony DVP-S560D and my roommate's Toshiba 3109 and both had the subtitle problem. A corrected disc would be much appreciated.

Todd Phillips

Second Unit
I don't my unwanted subtitle problems are on the chapter breaks--The first subtitle to pop up for me is "Well...we did do the nose" during the burn the witch segment, a little over a minute into the chapter.
On my Sony, I don't have to turn it back off. It goes back off by itself.
I'm thinking about returning it, if we don't hear from the studio soon.
------------------
Todd Phillips

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
So much for going to the Pythons:
Look, I'm just trying to help.
The subtitle "Mønti Pythøn ik den Hølie Grãilen" is missing.
I have verified this on five different DVD players, including Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, APEX, and a Pioneer DVD-ROM.
Please put me in touch with Mr. Goldstone. I'll be glad to work with him on this.
By the way, it's a Sony 9000-ES and Panasonic RP91.
- Steve

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
I'm thinking back to how easy Fox made it to get a replacement for the defective second disc of CLEOPATRA. If only Columbia/Tri-Star would follow their example on HOLY GRAIL, which has a much bigger problem than CLEOPATRA had.
--Bill

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
Can someone fill me in? As far as I can tell, there are two reported subtitle problems:
1. The English subtitles turn themselves on randomly during the movie.
2. The fake Swedish subtitles at the beginning are missing.
I assume the random subtitles problem is a player compatibility issue, but I can't seem to figure out from reading the various threads if the missing Swedish subtitles is also player dependent.
If the Swedish subtitles are on the negative, it seems like the only way a player could fail to display them would be if it cut the bottom of the picture off.
Can someone explain the details of the missing Sweedish subtitles problem? Thanks.
[Edited last by Brian McHale on October 26, 2001 at 02:06 PM]

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
While they're at it, how about removing the soundtrack from the still gallery so I don't get the speaker shattering pop every time I switch? I finally had to mute it!
Jeff Kleist

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
Brian,
The unwanted sporadic English subs seem to be player dependent, both in existence (happens on Sony, Toshiba, Phillips) and severity (less severe on Sony than Toshiba).
The single missing Swedish joke sub at the beginning (only for the main title, not the subsequent cards -- all the rest are fine) happens on all players because, despite the producer's protests, the fault is in the transfer itself (the Swedish jokes subs are burned in, not player-generated).
Hope that helps.
Ryan

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Interesting a print of this exists without the Swedish title onscreen; glad they're keeping these on the print instead of having them come up in player-generated text. I'll buy this but wait til they fix the missing title.

JamesCS

Stunt Coordinator
Luckily, I have not yet bought this DVD. I'll just sit back and wait for the fixed version before buying. I have been waiting for the SE release for quite some time. I guess I'll have to wait a little bit longer.

Scott Dill

Stunt Coordinator
Columbia,
This disc is on my must buy list, but I will not purchase it until you fix these reported problems.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
Here be a copy of the email I just sent to Darryn meself.
Darryn,
I heard of your communications with Steve Tanninhill from the Home Theater Forum, and Python Producer John Goldstone.
We're quite correct; the very first 'burned in' subtitle from the Holy Grail title sequence is missing. I've even taken screen captures, available at http://www.tangozone.com/slebrun/holygrailse.html which quite clearly shows what is and isn't there. My suggestion would be for Mr. Goldstone to go buy a copy of the DVD from an honest to Gods store, and spin it for himself. Either he approved a bad disc, or QA dropped the ball, or a version other than what Mr. Goldstone approved actually went out for duplication. Either way, the fans aren't happy. :)
Sorry if you're feeling like the middle man in this. Not my intention; if there's somebody better to direct this to, feel free to let me know.
Also, please be advised that these communications are being posted to the Home Theater Forum, and will continue to be unless you request otherwise.
Thanks,
Shayne Lebrun

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
Come on, Columbia, let's hear from you. This isn't a problem with a few low cost players, this involves a huge numbers of players from a number of manufacturers, high and low end machines.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
At last month's national HTF meet, I was part of a group of us (about 25 folks, I think) that visited Widescreen Review's facilities in Temecula. We spent all afternoon in their state-of-the-art screening room looking at various discs. One of these was their review copy of Monty Python & The Holy Grail, which they had just received. We watched the first 10-15 minutes of the film, up through the black knight sequence.
Now this room was full of Python fans who know this movie by heart. I swear that the first subtitle ("Mønti Pythøn ik den Hølie Grãilen") was on this disc, because we all started reading them aloud as they appeared! :)
Of course, my personal copy of this disc which arrived Saturday is missing this subtitle just like everyone else's here.
I'm just reporting this as it seems to support the theory that the original check discs were OK, and something happened in replication.
If course, my memory may be faulty. Does anyone else out there from our group remember if that opening subtitle was there?
------------------
Too many DVDs, too little time...
AFI 100 Challenge - 36 to go!

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
OK, C/TS...in order to fend off a visit from the KILLER RABBIT, (sent at the behest of SONY when they find out your disc is not playing properly on their players)
I suggest a fix, and soon.
I have their very latest mid line player, the DVPNS700P and the subtitles wont stay put.
And there is NO Swedish MP&THG subtitle at the very start of the film, either.
------------------

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Damn! I was going to pick this up this weekend until I heard about the missing Swedish subtitles at the beginning. I think I'll wait until this is fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks