What's new

Columbia: PLEASE FIX HOLY GRAIL SE! (1 Viewer)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yes, please do fix this (and offer a free replacement program to those who have already bought it).
Just curious, this film was obviously restored (some HTF'ers just saw it) and this DVD was probably struck from a restored print since the picture quality is beautiful.
So how does this error occur?
confused.gif

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Player-compatibility issues have always seemed a poor excuse for discs not working correctly. There should be an industry standard in quality control and compatibility to keep this from happening.
Although this is the first real problem I have encountered with over 500 discs, from what I read by many posters here, it's almost hit-or-miss when buying new titles. You never know if they're going to work properly on your player.

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
Yes, we know the subtitles are a running gag in the movie (or at least the credits), but really.
Since this seems to happen on both Toshibas and Sonys (at least), I think it goes beyond the usual "player incompatibility" stuff. I mean, come on -- you guys are part of the same company that makes Sony DVD players! I'd think getting a hold of a test deck wouldn't be terribly hard.
Eagerly awaiting recall instructions...
Ryan

tyler O

Stunt Coordinator
Unfortunately, I feel I must add myself to the list of those looking forward to getting a proper copy. I am grateful for the discs, but I would appreciate if there were not these compatibility issues or missing information. Thank you in advance.
------------------
Share and Enjoy - The marketing division of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite.
My DVDs

Paul W

Second Unit
Please add me to the list of those suffering from faults in the subtitles. Those responsible should be sacked!
------------------
Link Removed Paul Warren
Hey fella . . . I bet you're still livin' in your parent's cellar . . . downloading pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar . . . and posting "Me too!" like some brain-dead AOL-er . . . I should do the world a favor and cap ya' like Old Yeller . . . you're just about as useless as MPEGs [sic] to Hellen Keller.

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
Add me to the list of concerned buyers: this SE should be the only copy of Holy Grail I need, but that won't be the case while it's missing the film's first joke.
Columbia has shown before -- with the re-pressed Silverado and Leon: The Professional discs -- that they care about their customers. I encourage them to show it again by correcting this Holy Grail disc.
doug
------------------
"How can it be the same movie if they've changed my character from a
tightly-wound convenience-store clerk to a jittery Eskimo
firefighter?... uh huh... uh huh... uh huh. Well, that's actually a
pretty good explanation..."
--James Woods, on The Simpsons

Julie K

Screenwriter
I've got a Toshiba 2109 and it sure gets old having to switch off the subtitles. I could almost understand older players having problems, but it seems as if even the new players have problems.
And of course the lack of "Mønti Pythøn ik den Hølie Grãilen" is a problem too.
Columbia: Please fix these problems and offer a new disc to those of us who have already purchased the title.
------------------
My DVDs
"Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I've got the same subtitle problems on my Sony 550 and the same gripes-- please fix this (this is the only title out of 550 that I've had any problems with!)

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Columbia has taken care of some issues in the past. But I've still never heard about a fix for the ANNIE (1982) mis-framing issue. Supposedly they were going to fix that and let consumers know how to get a replacement copy. Still waiting...

James Corey

Stunt Coordinator
I cannot adequately describe my disappointment of the unfortunate glitch of the rogue subtitles. I have been looking forward to the street date of this release since the first rumblings were heard and now this ! The recurring titles are far too distracting to be able to enjoy the film, considering the frequency of remote adjustments required to eliminate the titles.
Here's hoping that SONY/CTHV 'do the right thing' and take responsibility for this glaring oversight and do not make the trusting public bear the load of their quality 'contol' and product 'development'.
oh yeah,,,,I almost forgot, anyone interested in a Betamax for cheap ??
rolleyes.gif

Terry Hickey

Second Unit
Real Name
Terry Hickey
I am experiencing the same subtitle glitches on both my Toshiba SD2107 and Sony DAV300. At least on the Sony player it isn't as bad as on the Toshiba player. Please correct this if you can. The film looks great except for the subtitle problem.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The title IS on the restored print
You'll probably get farther complaining to the Pythons, seriously

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I just heard back from the webmaster of Pythonline. He is working on reporting the problem to the Pythons and Columbia Tristar Home Entertainment. We should have more information soon.
- Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks