What's new

COLUMBIA: Please consider THE SWIMMER for DVD (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Judith Crist says this is Burt Lancaster's finest performance. The film has a cult following and what would be even better than just a movie only release, would be restoring the 40 minutes cut from the film prior to its release. Frank Perry's masterpiece deserves to be seen by a new audience.

I have a trailer set on 16mm which is yours for the asking to include on the DVD.

Brad Vautrinot

Stunt Coordinator
I, too, would love to see a nice S.E. of THE SWIMMER. This is a terrific film that needs to be made available for appreciative audiences.

NeilEdwards

Stunt Coordinator
The Swimmer is also on my long list. I'll take it any way that I can get it (widescreen/anamorphic only please ... if applicable).

Alex Morrow

Stunt Coordinator
I would love a copy of The Swimmer on DVD. I used to watch the LD over and over again. A masterpiece of film. Columbia made a new 35mm print last year and was shown at the Egyptian down in Hollywood. The color looked amazing almost as if it had been shot that year. If they made a print that looked that amazing then they should have a working negative for which they can make a HD transfer (if they didn't already).

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I really hope that Columbia does consider this film for release. This was another of those discoveries from late night TV that has become a favorite, and much overlooked film. Lancaster's brilliant portrayal deserves to be seen again.

The issue of the extra 40 minutes is an interesting dilema, as I think the film works fine as is, but would love to see the footage restored as well as an alternate version. The news about the 35mm print is good. I still don't know what the correct aspect ratio is for this. The LD is full frame. Does anyone know?

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
THE SWIMMER needs to be given a DVD release especially with a new print out there. It's one of my all time favorite films and it needs to be seen in OAR with whatever extras can be found. Perhaps with Frank Perry and Burt gone, Sydney Pollack, who directed some scenes, could shed some more light on this underrated classic in a commentary or interview. And what a score, love to have it isolated.

This is one of the best films of the sixties and I think it makes more current Hollywood suburban exposes like AMERICAN BEAUTY, look like overblown crappola. I've turned several people into huge fans. Lancaster is at his best here--there is a lot of good Lancaster already on DVD, but THE SWIMMER, 1900, THE LEOPARD, THE KILLERS, and CASTLE KEEP represent some huge voids.

Jon

"I'll call it the Lucinda River."

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
You know I'm always there Jeff when you ask to see this great film on DVD. Please Columbia, let it happen!

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
I'd buy 'The Swimmer', too. And speaking of other Burt Lancaster films currently unavailable on DVD, how about 'Atlantic City'?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Anybody have any new info on this one?

This is , next to some old titles owned by Warner, my most wanted.

Absolutely OAR, and ANY extras would be more than appreciated.

A new print exists? Manohman, i think i'm starting to salivate.

so does anybody know the OAR of this one?

i'm guessing 1.75/.85, but since i haven't seen it in a few years thats just a guess.

Do you think Columbia knows how highly valued this title is?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Alex, do you recall what aspect ratio this was shown at theatrically?

I still haven't seen my trailer reel (need a 16mm projector), which has 5 trailers. I believe these are fullscreen.

Alex Morrow

Stunt Coordinator
jeff,

i can't really remember, but I want to say it was 2.35. the print looked amazing though, it had definately been cleaned up.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
The Swimmer was not shot using any widescreen process so the widest this film could be shown would be 1.85:1.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
1.85 looks about right if I zoom in the open matte LD transfer, though I suspect that was zoomed in a bit as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks