COLUMBIA - Please admit you made a mistake...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dick, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    C'mon, people. Admit you dropped the ball with THREE WORLDS OF GULLIVER. Aside from the really poor pciture quality, it is the ONLY pan and scan (NOT FULL-FRAME, as you'd like us to believe) title in your entire Harryhausen series. You somehow decided this one above all others was a "family film," I guess, and thus not deserving of widescreen treatment...? Take off some of the redundant supplemental material which has now appeared on five or six different titles and re-issue the film with 1.85:1 on one side and your precious pan and scan on the other. Please. You know deep in your hearts it's the right thing to do. It will lead to many more sales from persons who avaoided the cropped version, and it will make your series consistent, instead of containing this one odd duck.

2. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Dick,

And where should they get the extra parts of the image from?
    As far as I know this 1960 film was 1.36:1, so are you quite sure it isn't you who is mistaken?
    I will try to do some further research anyway.

Cees

3. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    Cees, if this was in fact shot at 1.36:1, then there was a fair amount of zoom-in, because numerous shots throughout the DVD wherein actors are cut in half, plus the way the titles shift, leads me to think this was meant for 1.66:1 at the very least.

4. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Back in the thread some months ago, someone posted that the titles shifted like that in the theater. I have no independent knowledge of this, but it seemed to me that it looked open matte. I zoomed it up to 16:9 and the compositions looked fine.

5. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Not all clear.
    The IMDB states that it's filmed 1.37:1 on a 35mm film, but also that it's "Spherical (credited as SuperDynamation)" without giving a ratio of the image.
    A German DVD version claims to be 1.85:1.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Cees