What's new

Columbia Loses Another Sale (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
a film i never before heard of before a few days ago

piqued my interest because of its cast (Dick Van Dyke, Debbie Reynolds, Jason Robards, Lee Grant, among others) and its milieu- late 60's suburbia.
i was was looking forward to picking it up as a blind buy, until i found out it was Full Frame only.

with each month Sony ships more and more 16:9 displays, and yet at the same time Columbia/Tri Star releases more and more 4:3 transfers of widescreen material.

someone explain this corporate disconnect to me.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Sony is downsizing. Whoever is in charge of rational decisions must have had his position eliminated.

TimJS

Second Unit
Paul:

I think it's in the file behind the one labeled 'We-build-develop-and-make-outrageous-profits-in-cheap-consumer-digital-copying-components-and-bitch-n-moan-about-piracy-strategic-positioning-guide'.

;) Tim

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Add me to the list of disapppointed fans who won't be picking this up.

This is a good movie. Why ruin it by releasing in an incorrect version?

Steve

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
With all respect to Bruce Z, Columbia is simply growing worse by the day, in spite of their good work in the past.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised noone caught on to the fact that Columbia recently announced The Slugger's Wife, and it too is MAR.

Brian W

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know if this is at the very least open matte (as with Columbia's Trouble with Angels) or is it pan and scan? At least if it is open matte it can be scaled...

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Anyone considered sending some emails/letters to Sony Electronics branch? Tell them you're thinking about buying/upgrading to a new HDTV but are dismayed that much of the video software coming out of Sony/Columbia Home Video will have grey bars on the sides.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

i read that at least one person believes this was most likely hard matted to 1.66 and this transfer would framed inside that.
the review said it seemed too tight with the tops of heads frequently being chopped off

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

I sent such a letter to Howard Stringer's office a couple of years ago. I never received any sort of reply. :frowning:

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: to Columbia for continuing to release MAR only DVDs, despite the complaints of DVD enthusiasts. Take a look at the sales charts, and you will see that Widescreen CONTINUALLY outsells MAR releases. So why would you not cater to that market?!

:laugh:

MikeM

Screenwriter

Not to get too side tracked in this thread, but how is The Slugger's Wife MAR'd? I thought it included both the standard and widescreen presentations. Is the widescreen aspect ratio incorrect?

THE SLUGGER'S WIFE (Region 1)
New to DVD on March 9th

DVD SPECIAL FEATURES INCLUDE:
Digitally Mastered Audio and Anamorphic Video
Remastered in High Definition
Full Screen Presentation
Audio: English (Stereo)
Subtitles: English, Spanish
Bonus Trailers
Scene Selections
Rated PG-13
Color
Closed Captioned
Running Time: 104 Minutes
DVD Catalog # 10335
UPC Code: 0-43396-10335-1
Street Date: 03/09/04
SLP: $24.96

(info taken directly from Columbia's Press Release.)

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
My press release claims anamorphic video for The Slugger's Wife.

As a reviewer I will no longer review titles not presented in their original aspect ratio. I have always advocated watching and releasing films in their original aspect ratio.

Regards,
Michael

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Wow, I just resurrected the Apu thread to find this one right next to it. :b

Oops.

If that's the case, could you let us know when that's the reason? Otherwise we could end-up waiting for a review that will never come and not know why.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

Mike and Michael, "Digitally Mastered Audio and Anamorphic Video" coupled with "Full Screen Presentation" (and no other presentation format) is Columbia Tristar-speak for a DVD with a full-screen presentation but anamorphic menus. (Yes, it's ironic that an MAR disc would have anamorphic menus.)

The Slugger's Wife is most definitely full-screen only. The CTHE press site has an image of the back cover that clearly shows a "1.33:1 full screen" presentation and nothing else. Short of having the DVD in hand, that's the best way to verify specs for a disc. Press releases are sometimes wrong and often worded awkwardly--as this shows.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Michael Osadciw, perhaps you should review them but only say (and explain briefly) "Not OAR. 0 Stars! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks