What's new

Columbia Jan catalog-including Barney Miller S1,Dilbert & Critic series sets,Superbit (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Luke, wait for it. It's coming. This is January's slate (and Columbia is gonna be pissed that all this was leaked before the announce dates for these titles). If NewsRadio's not announced for a slate as late as April, THEN I would start getting upset.

Right now I suspect Columbia is trying to see if they can get 35 episodes of NewsRadio S1/S2 onto 2 single-sided, single-layer DVDs. :rolleyes

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Where's All in the Family Season 3?
You're not kiddin'. I'm not sure Columbia TriStar knows what the hell they're doing anymore. My best guess is they're throwing the first season of every series they own out onto the market to see which ones sell the most. My inclination is they'll continue with those that are the most profitable. And the others might be on the back burner for years and years. Like Good Times and Garry Shandling, for instance.

I plan on buying The Critic (since I'll be getting the complete series in one shot) and Barney Miller come January. But as a purchaser of Soap, All In the Family and Married with Children as well... I gotta wonder how much they're really committed to going all the way with what they start.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Where's All in the Family Season 3?
Dammit, it seems that every 30 days I tell someone that this isn't expected until Feb slate or Mar slate. They release these about a year apart.

We're still looking at the Jan slate, so it's not expected yet. I'll only be concerned about this if I don't see it in the Mar slate.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Dammit, it seems that every 30 days I tell someone that this isn't expected until Feb slate or Mar slate. They release these about a year apart.
I wonder why All in the Family is getting released about every 10-12 months while Sanford and Son is breezing along at every 6-8 months.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
"About Annie, exactly how much was cut before release, and what did it entail? Does it still exist? Was it cut against the producer's and/or director's wishes? "

Matthew,

John Huston didn't like the film, but he needed the money (He was clearly the wrong director for the property)

The film was completed in the summer of 1981, in the fall the cast was called back and much of the film was re-written/reshot. The entire opening with Annie escaping and getting caught by Burnett was reshot (photo's even show different costumes), the musical numbers mentioned above were restaged and reshot ("Easy Street" was a big production number with a hundred extras). There were also a lot of "bits" shot which Ray Stark had filmed to make the film more appealing to the teenage male audience (Which never should have been a target audience, but these were the years of "Star Wars" and "Raiders of the Lost Ark" which is why Annie's dangling from a suspension bridge at the climax of the film.

One way of noting the added footage is by Carol Burnett's chin. She had it cosmetic surgery to enlarge her chin after filming was completed - only to come back to do the reshoots with a new chin (Look at the "Easy Street" number and then the scene right after her chin is smaller (It's pretty noticable)

Matt_H

Stunt Coordinator
my prayers have been answered with the critic on dvd finally coming. now i'll finally be able to throw out my old tapes. i doubt we'll get the simpsons episode until its released with the simpsons dvd (but we'll at least get it eventually).

ok now one question strangelove is listed as a SE superbit. does that mean it's a superbit deluxe like the hollow man was?

Joseph Goodman

Stunt Coordinator
For those wondering, the two Godzilla titles WILL include the original Japanese audio tracks with subtitles (no word on whether they will be 5.1 or 2.0), in addition to English dub tracks. We have Mike Schlesinger at Columbia's repertory division to thank for convincing the home video department to include the Japanese tracks (at great cost to his own vocal cords!).

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Greg, you have opened quite a can of worms. This missing "Annie" footage intrigues me. If someone stashed the picture and sound negatives away safely somewhere, hopefully it will be on there.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I think Jay Sherman offering his opinion on the show would be a good special feature and if you don't know the 2 words he would say, you weren't watching the series that closely.

"It Stinks"

It will be good to have "Speed Reading," "the Cockroach King starring Howard Stern" Fanticrap, and Celebrity 911 on DVD.

MatS

Screenwriter
Dr. Strangelove: SE Superbit???!!!

DTS??

what is a SE Superbit...I have not purchased any of these titles in this line, I thought one of the qualifiers of Superbit titles was, no extras so as to use all disc space for best possible a/v.

how many times does this title need to be re-issued?
am I to understand the studio gave this title a half assed effort the previous 2+ times or was this title never redone as part of the two WB box sets because it was a Columbia title?

come on now Columbia TriStar :rolleyes

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
QUOTE: I wonder if there's going to be anything on the new "Dr. Strangelove" that justifies purchasing it yet again....
---------
...all I can say is that they had damn well better use the recently RESTORED print of DS on this SE...to bring it up to par with all the rest of the excellent WARNER discs...
there was no excuse for the use of the ancient print used on the last SE...

CarlosL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Carlos
And of course, it was just my luck that I bought the current CTS version through DDD the day before I read this thread... :frowning: It always seems to happen that way.

Aaron Cooke

Second Unit
also disappointed in no Newsradio news. Wasn't that show the #1 pick from their first poll? And it seems like every other show they've said would be released from that set has come out before newsradio??? :angry:

Yes, i'm a bit biased as Newsradio is the only one of those sets i intend to purchase. I don't really mind waiting if the delay is because they're doing it right....but about that i have my doubts.

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
Does anybody think this scene will be cut from the Siskel and Ebert episode on the Critic? The scene in question is when Siskel is interviewing critics to replace Ebert on his new show. The scene goes like this:

Critic: Tim Allen gives that same likeable performance we've always loved, once again proving Disney Pictures have the magic touch that may not win awards, but keep America smiling. How was that?

Siskel: You're Satan, aren't you?

Critic morphs into Satan.

Satan: You win another round Siskel, but we shall meet again. Muhaaaaa...

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
ANNIE IS FRIGGIN' FULL FRAME?!?!?!?!?!?!?

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! Somebody prove me wrong !!!! PLEASE!!!

From dvdanswers.com:

Columbia Tristar Home Entertainment have announced the region one release of Annie which stars Albert Finney, Carol Burnett, Aileen Quinn and Bernadette Peters. This special anniversary edition release will be available to own from the 13th January next year and should set you back somewhere in the region of $24.96. The full disc specs are attached below along with a look at the official artwork:

1.33:1 Full Screen Transfer

English Dolby Digital 5.1 Track

English DTS Surround Track

French Dolby Digital 2.0 Track

Spanish Dolby Digital 2.0 Track

Exclusive Performance of "It's The Hard Knock Life"

The Age of Annie Trivia Game

My Hollywood Adventure with Aileen Quinn Feature

Sing Along with Annie Feature

Act Along with Annie Feature

Various Trailers

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks