What's new

Columbia: How About NewsRadio? (1 Viewer)

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
Good to see that Columbia is getting deeper into the TV-on-DVD market (with the upcoming All In the Family set). Now how about Newsradio, one of the best sitcoms of the '90s, and arguably the best workplace sitcom since the '70s?
Newsradio has become quite popular since going into syndication (a recent report in a trade publication indicated that it was the most popular syndicated sitcom among male viewers -- no doubt in large part because of the presence of super-babe Maura Tierney). With the brilliant ensemble cast and fast pace, it's the kind of sitcom that really lends itself to multiple viewings, and it's one of the two shows I'd most like to have on DVD (the other being Fox's WKRP, oddly enough; how odd that the world of radio should be such a good setting for TV sitcoms).
The first season of Newsradio was only seven episodes, so a complete first season would only need to be a single disc -- so Columbia could put a first-season collection out as an inexpensive "feeler" to see if there's a market for the rest of the series. I think there is.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I second this request. This is one of my most-anticipated TV series DVD releases. This is a great and very underrated show that I did not begin watching until after it was already off the air (thankfully, A&E picked up the rights to it), but watch it now whenever I can. I would definitely purchase all seasons of this program, if released in season sets.

While I'm at it, the Critic and Married ... With Children are also in my top5 most wanted TV shows on DVD, both of which are also in your library, to the best of my knowledge.

If you release those 3 series, you'll get a ton of my money just from those over the next several years. I already have the Larry Sanders and All in the Family season 1 sets on pre-order, and will buy all of those seasons should you continue to release them.

TV on DVD is a big business. Thankfully it appears you have now realized that. :) (Please don't release any of the above through Columbia House only, though.)

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
I'd definitely go for this. Columbia House called me a week or so ago trying to get me back in the DVD club. I told them that I wasn't interested but knew they were releasing tv series DVDs. I mentioned my interest in Newsradio.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I'd buy the show. Great entertainment, and wonderful scripts. I've posted in the S & M Forum before. Hopefully we will see this in the future from C/T.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I would buy this only as boxed sets. If they decided to release it only through their club, disc by disc, I wouldn't bother to purchase any of them.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Columbia House and Columbia/TriStar are not affiliated.

I really would love season boxset releases of NewsRadio!

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
Now that Columbia has announced Mad About You Season one, I think it's time to revive this thread. We need Newsradio!

Megan_A_D

Stunt Coordinator
I'd buy NewsRadio too... I only ever watched it when I was bored and it was the late night syndicated rerun. That's not because I didn't like the show, but because I don't watch half hour sitcoms on a regular basis during first run.

I'd gladly buy this show and already plan to buy Mad About You. So far the other TV product hasn't really interested me yet but kudos for putting it out there since I'm just one of thousands of tv on dvd consumers clamoring for product to go broke buying.

Give you an idea of just how much I don't like watching things first run: I own Friends, Simpsons, Sex & the City, Sopranos, X-files none of which I watched first run. The first two I'd caught an ep now and there when I did leave the tv on and have these running in the background but the next two I hadn't seen at all.... and Xfiles I didn't start watching the show til 3rd season but I have watched a lot of the reruns.

I'm certain that I'm one of many people who couldn't be bothered to devote time to slavishly catching every episode on air but are willing to shell out some bucks for the privilege of watching them all at our leisure when we're good and ready. Can't beat that good DVD quality (well assuming they're not crammed so badly on to a disc that video suffers) and lack of commericals to interrupt and waste your time!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks