What's new

Columbia House Promotes 'Pan & Scan'!! (1 Viewer)

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
I wish they were. Not only would it help convert the masses, but just think what you could do with the extra screen real estate.
That's what extra monitors are for! I have three on a single PC. You can have up to four and they function as extended desktops. Drag & drop apps back and forth as if they were one. :D
Yes, I am a complete geek.

RobR

Second Unit
DavidEC has started a very misleading thread. I just received the latest flyer and nowhere on it does Columbia House promote pan and scan. In the DVD Buzz newsletter, all CH did was take a poll of where Club members stand in the choice between widescreen and pan&scan and reported the results. They printed some of the responses to their question and of the five pro-pan&scan people, four of them expressed the opinion that there should be a choice between widescreen and pan&scan. Additionally, CH compiled a list of their most popular pan and scan titles on the back page of this month's Club magazine for those who prefer the butchered version (although I think they should stick with VHS for the time being). All this is not even remotely close to "promoting" pan&scan. CH encourages everyone to add to the debate: e-mail or write Columbia House at
[email protected]
The DVD Buzz
c/o Columbia House DVD Club, Room 1960A
1221 Avenue of the Americas, 19th Floor
New York, NY 10021-1090
If CH is quilty of anything, it's that it doesn't know the difference between standard format and pan&scan.

DavidEC

Stunt Coordinator
DavidEC has started a very misleading thread. I just received the latest flyer and nowhere on it does Columbia House promote pan and scan...{SNIP}... All this is not even remotely close to "promoting" pan&scan. CH encourages everyone to add to the debate: e-mail or write Columbia House at
I don't know what else you would call it then.. Columbia House printed a full page of listing 'Pan & Scan' all by its self with a heading of
"HIT MOVIES FORMATTED TO FIT THE STANDARD TV SCREEN"
If this is not promoting a standard than what is? In the past this "Last Page" was devoted to a movie style (horror, Scfi, War, ect..), Director, Studio, "Star":star:, and or even "DVD EXTRAS" :emoji_thumbsup: but this was the first time in the three years (off and on) that I have been a member that they have ever used this last page to promote how a movie is being viewed on screen size.
Now maybe I have become a little touchy on the subject, after spending hours this past Christmas, having to tell family members why widescreen is better than P&S. I wish that I had a copy of that 'FOX DEMO' DVD to play. or could down load and burn a VCD for playback with this outline on it.:b
--David

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
I just got the latest flyer from 'Columbia House DVD Club' and they are promoting 'PAN & SCAN' DVD's
Great:frowning:
Pan and Scan: We must do what we can to beat it, or to be more specific we must go to all lengths to preserve OAR on DVD.
What more can be said? It's war.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I'm well-known around here as being an advocate of [rant]NO OAR = NO SALE[/rant]. I don't operate any other way when buying DVD's.
On the other hand, I'm all about letting people choose for themselves. Everyone else can have what they want, as long as they don't infringe on my right to have what I want.
For that reason, I do NOT want 4:3 bastardized versions of WS films to become "standard". :eek:...what a frightening thought!
But DavidEC, you sound like you're get a tad carried away, if I may say so:
Now maybe I have become a little touchy on the subject
I think we all have. I must be [rant]insane[/rant] for even posting this reply, but that's a sign of how touchy we've ALL become on this subject!
Fellow HTFer's: we are fighting amongst ourselves over the AR issue. We are getting carried away with some aspects of it, when objectively looking at many situations prove that it is NOT as bad as some say. I agree with a whole heart about the the "peril of the slippery slope"; we don't want the MAR-supporters to gain momentum.
But can we stop bickering about the problem - which has long been defined - and start agreeing on a solution?
We've often stated that education is the key. Who will volunteer to moderate a chat? Such a chat could be used to discuss methods of starting that education, how it should be sponsored and supported monetarily, and who the actual educators should be (studios, artists, retailers, makers of WS TV's, or advocacy groups like the HTF). Maybe we should involve no less than Jack Valenti, President and CEO of the Motion Picture Association of America, to see where his organization takes a stand on this issue. If anyone can push this issue, it's "The Oscars", right? And the artists (actors, directors, cinematographers, etc.) will follow the MPAA to push widescreen as the standard for showing home versions of widescreen films.
Let's do this, guys...let's get up off our asses and stop just talking about it!.

I'm soooo tired of the bickering... :frowning:

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Maybe we should involve no less than Jack Valenti, President and CEO of the Motion Picture Association of America, to see where his organization takes a stand on

this issue.
Jack Valenti and his organization will support the path of most profit; not artistic faithfullness.

Also if a copy proof system were to be developed that required, for some weird reason, that all DVD's be P&S, you can be damned sure Valenti would support that system.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Because I feel any effort to boycott CH over this issue is misguided, I am not going to start doubling my CH purchases. I'll just buy a few less titles at B&M locations and buy them a bit later at CH instead. Heck, my wallet will thank me.
So there, I just cancelled somebody out. :)
Of course, I won't buy P&S titles at CH just like I don't buy P&S titles from anybody else.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks