Columbia House Promotes 'Pan & Scan'!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DavidEC, Dec 26, 2001.

1. DavidEC

DavidEC Stunt Coordinator

I just got the latest flyer from 'Columbia House DVD Club' and they are promoting 'PAN & SCAN' DVD's

They give a whole page in the flyer for these DVD's as they state on the flyer;" HIT MOVIES FORMATTED TO FIT THE STANDARD TV SCREEN"

And in the DVD BUZZ newsletter they also promote "Pan & Scan"

Something tells me that soon 'Columbia House' will no longer be offering 'Letterbox' DVD's through the club is there is a 'Pan & Scan' version for sale!!

We have to put a stop to this 'Pan & Scan' take over!

--David

2. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

David, if you are a member of the CH DVD Club, I suggest you cancel your membership as soon as possible. Tell them their promotion of pan & scan is the reason why. I don't know any other way of getting the message across...

3. MikeF

MikeF Stunt Coordinator

Hooray, yet another thread about the battles to be waged against the evil forces of pan & scan.
    [​IMG]
    Couldn't we consolidate all these wonderful ramblings in one thread?!

4. MickeS

MickeS Producer

MikeF, I think they all deserve separate threads, as they deal with separate incidents of P&S being "forced" upon the public. This is becoming a big problem, and deserves all the attention it has been getting, and more, IMO.

/Mike

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

The more noise the better in my book. This is war.

I love it: As we transition over to the era of widescreen displays, the philistines are still bleating in favor of cropping movies for 4:3 presentations.

6. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

I agree. Time to cancel and tell 'em why!

7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I wish I COULD cancel. After the great introductory rates, you're paying up to 4 times Best Buy prices for DVDs. I have to pay them for two more and then I'm gone.

8. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I had already canceled my membership but was invited to renew with a new package deal.

No longer.

P&S Support = no sale

9. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

MikeF - I think that's called thread crapping.
    I agree about making noise... let's keep in their thoughts [​IMG]
    Matt

10. RobR

RobR Second Unit

People cancel and rejoin all the time, so I'm not sure if they'll get the message unless you inform them your reason behind the cancellation (that is, if you're lucky enough to be very close to fulfilling your obligation). It makes no sense to stay a member after fulfilling your obligation.

Nevertheless, I am of the opinion there's no reason not to rejoin unless they actually stop issuing the letterbox versions.

11. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    I've heard the same story over and over from the local Mom & Pop videostore.
    People complain about the black bars. I say I am formally complaining because there are no little black bars. If I want to watch a POS movie like The Mummy Returns, I should get the whole picture.
    People complain because they are confused. Some films fill up their TV, some have little black bars, some have both.
    Hell, If I didn't know better I'd be confused.
    I remember returning the Dr. Strangelove LD because the package clearly stated that it was the widescreen version. But multiple aspect ratios would have confused anybody.

12. Butch C

Butch C Second Unit

The average consumer doesnt care if its P&S or widescreen...they just want the image to fill thier screen...this crap will die down when 16:9 TVs become the norm...

I also dont understand...was the Columbia House flyer PROMOTING P&S as better or was it just OFFERING P&S to people who prefer it

One is a blatent lie...the other is good business...please clarify

13. Michael St. Clair

If I were Columbia House, I'd point out pan-and-scan to the masses that are looking for it (which is not the same thing as advocating it). It would make for happier Joe Six Pack customers. The 'letterboxed' crowd is more savvy and will be able to find what they are looking for with no assistance.

Folks, it's just business. Columbia House's duty is to maximize return for their shareholders.

They even carry DTS titles....I wouldn't worry about them dropping widescreen titles.

Me, I'll definitely stick with them. If you do the club the right way, you pay less than $10 a disc after you average out all the costs including shipping and taxes. 7 discs for less than 70 bucks? I'm not cutting off my nose to spite my face.

14. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

What we need is a little solidarity here, man! We need the TV broadcasters to start broadcasting in HDTV 16:9, thereby increasing the demand for 16:9 TV sets. WE MUST BANISH THE WORLD OF THE 4:3 FORMAT. HELL, LETS MAKE PC MONITORS 16:9.

Seriously though, I'm just getting into 16:9 tru letterbox and I want it to stay that way!

15. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

Columbia House offers many anamorphic, widescreen titles. I have demonstrated my support for the cause by purchasing titles in this format only. As Michael stated and I fully concur:

16. Bill Buklis

Bill Buklis Supporting Actor

Bill Buklis

17. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Their laserdisc club usually had ONLY the widescreen versions when both were available (a lot of titles from Universal and Paramount were put out both ways).

18. Matt_Marlow

Matt_Marlow Stunt Coordinator

How can people honestly be all that worried that Columbia House would carry only pan and scan titles? In case you hadn't noticed, there are only a handful of titles that are available in seperate releases: pan & scan OR widescreen. Recent titles like that are The Grinch, Jurassic Park, Cats and Dogs, etc. This still amounts to only a tiny percentage of the overall releases, probably around 2%. The VAST majority of titles are either widescreen only or dual widescreen/P&S. I agree that it will be irritating if they only make the P/S version available for sale when 2 versions are in existence, but it's being blown out of proportion when you look at the big picture.

19. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

This promotion of Pan and Scan goes against my previous experience with Columbia House.

In fact, I made a post not too long ago (within the last few months) indicating that Columbia House "Promotes Widescreen"! This was based on the Directors Selection being "The Mummy Returns". If you didn't respond within the time allowed, they would automatically send you the WIDESCREEN version of the disc. In small print, next to the order number, the flyer indicated this title was also available in a "pan and scan" version.

So, to say that Columbia House promotes pan and scan (or widescreen for that matter) is oversimplifying the matter.

20. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor