1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Columbia House kills online account cancelling?

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Michael Douglas, Oct 9, 2004.

1. Michael Douglas

Michael Douglas Stunt Coordinator

Not sure what forum a discussion on Columbia House fits in, but it could be bargains since you can average less than $8 per DVD on a good enrollment plan. Anyway...

I've always cancelled my CH account online, but right now this is all I get when I try to do it:

So when I do it over phone, the CSR gives me a huge song and dance (aka standard responses to read to me) when I request to cancel like responding to the reason I state for cancelling, the options for pre-orders, what my account options are now that I've competed my enrollment, extra bonus crap I can receive, etc. It's like seven or eight things they try to pitch to me so I won't quit.

Is it possible that the online option was disabled for that very reason? [​IMG]

2. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

speaking of CH-anyone know the URL of their "Deluxe" DVD Club that was mention here or somewhere a few months back-cant seem to find it
    thanks.

3. Marshall W. Carter

Marshall W. Carter Stunt Coordinator

You're probably thinking of DV2.com. I signed up for it, got the sign-up DVD (about $9 if I remember correctly), but the prices haven't been such that I've actually bought anything else from them. The good thing is that there aren't any automatic shipments. You get free shipping, but the 40% they advertise is 40% off the MSRP, which is what everyone else charges for them (though their MSRP's seem a little, hmmm, exagerrated). Anyways...

4. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Marshall - I've been a member of DV2 for some time now, and I've found their prices to be extremely competitive, usually a few bucks lower than Deep Discount, especially on sets. No, you're not going to save a fortune compared to other online retailers, but their prices are at least competitive with other discounters. I haven't found their MSRP to be exaggerated, although I don't always pay that much attention to it since MSRP usually doesn't mean much anyway.

So far, I'm 100% satisfied with my DV2 membership, and I've now terminated my regular CH membership.

Steve K.

5. Greg Madsen

Greg Madsen Second Unit

I think dv2 has the best prices on most of the titles they offer. I order a lot from them. One Tuesday rolls around I am going to use $15 of funcash towards the That's Entertainment set ($29.95) and get it for $15.00!

They also have the best price by far for the Gone With The Wind set at $23.95

I don't find their MSRP inflated at all.

Some comparisons:

That's Entertainment Set dv2:$29.95 DDD: $37.44
    227 Season one: dv2:$17.97 DDD: $22.06
    Diff'rent Strokes S.1 " " " "
    All in the Family S. 3 " " " "
    North and South Coll. dv2 $41.99 DDD: $48.29
    Return of the King Extended dv2: $23.99
    Hitchcock Signature dv2: $59.95 DDD: $74.93
    Mad Tv S. 1 dv2: $23.99 DDD: $29.99
    Hepburn/Tracy Collection dv2: $23.95 DDD: $28.78
    Benji off the leash dv2: $11.97 DDD: $17.48
    The O.C. dv2: $41.99 DDD: $52.49
    Friends S. 8 dv2: $26.99 DDD: $33.12
    Iron Giant SE dv2: $11.99
    Looney tunes Golden2 dv2: $38.95 DDD: $47.51
    Matrix Ultimate Collection dv2: $47.95 DDD: $57.55

All this with free shipping! You earn at least $2.00 of Funcash with each dvd ordered. Redeemed Funcash is applied to the SALE price of sets with three or more discs!

If any non-members want to know the price of a specific dvd, email me at [email protected]

6. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Your post reminded me that I had an account open that I've wanted to close for some time. So I just tried cancelling online like always and it worked fine. Maybe there was just a temporary problem when you tried.

After logging in, I used this link to cancel:

http://www.columbiahouse.com/cl1/ch/...unt_cancel.jsp

7. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

Couple questions about DV2:

What method of shipping do they use? I'm assuming it's probably media rate since it's free shipping. That's a minus if true.

How long do they take to process in stock orders?

8. Greg Madsen

Greg Madsen Second Unit

"We usually ship the next business day and most orders are received within 1 week from ship date.

If you selected "expedited shipping" ($4.99 per order), you should receive your order within 3 to 5 business days from ship date.

Note: there are no additional shipping fees for split shipments."

I do think they use media mail for free shipping but I receive my orders much quicker than DDDs, usually within a week where I usually have to wait around 3 weeks or more for DDD orders.

9. Michael Douglas

Michael Douglas Stunt Coordinator

You know what, your link is a different link than the one they keep sending me to for cancellation. Your link worked, but mine still doesn't. The link they sent me to has a whole lot more options for reasons for quitting, and offers me space to elaborate. The link you had is the one I've been to before. I wonder why I'm getting stuck with this new link that doesn't work.

http://www.columbiahouse.com/sa/71/c...in=71&bak=NONE

10. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    It's probably as you surmised. They want to make it more of a hassle for people to quit have more of an opportunity to convince you to stay. So they changed the default link to something new to run you through the gauntlet and make you call them.

I had saved my link as a favorite because I got tired of trying to find it all the time on the website. I wouldn't be surprised if it stops working some time. They probably just haven't closed the loophole yet.

11. Robert Powers

Robert Powers Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Glenn,

I just used your link to cancel. I had also tried to cancel online before with no success but you link worked.