Columbia House: Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Chris Joyner, Oct 4, 2003.

1. Chris Joyner

Chris Joyner Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking forward to buying ALOT of DVD's coming out in the next couple of months, and it's going to be expensive. Is joing a DVD club like Columbia House worth it? I've never met someone who's joined a club like that. Do they alter the case of the DVD in any way? (In case I want to sell them to a used DVD retailer). If anybody has joined Columbia House, please give me some info. Thanks.

Chris

2. BarryS

BarryS Second Unit

I'm in the Columbia House DVD club. I found it to be worthwhile. In addition to the introductory offer, you can get some pretty good deals. I only order from them every couple of months or so. I mainly use it to get DVDs that are expensive (i.e. over $20) at a B&M store. I rarely get new releases from them, mainly just older catalog titles. They usually have sales like Buy 1 at regular price and get 2 free, or get 50% off unlimited DVDs with 1 regular price purchase. They're pretty good. They have a good selection, I'd say. It's not exceptional, but I'd gotten some pretty good deals.

As for the DVD packaging, they seem to me to be the same that you'd find at a regular store.

3. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

If you do it right - enroll with more expensive titles, fulfill and you're out...it's definitely worth it. Like $7-$9 average per DVD. Don't fall for the "Buy 1 at regular price and get 2 free" deals. They might be better than buying DVDs from a store, but it's always cheaper to close and open a new account.

4. Chris Joyner

Chris Joyner Stunt Coordinator

Thanks. I'll look into it. Do they carry new releases? I checked out their website and it looked like the latest DVD's they had were "Old School" and similar dated releases.

5. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    www.dvdtalk.com
    go to their forums
    go to the DVD clubs forum
    more info than you could ever want about columbia house avaialable there as well as detailed strategies on how best to use the club for your advantage.

Adam

6. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Watch out for their special sales, once you have fulfilled your membership obligation you can get better deals, some by e-mail. IME the very best sales are only good for 24 hours, so keep a want list handy. I have got many recent major releases and pre-orders for future ones for less than $10 each. If you do the quit and join thing you'll have to wait until new releases aren't quite so new anymore to get them as cheaply (or cheaper).

7. James D

James D Second Unit

Chris-
    Do as Adam said and go to the DVDTalk site for all info regarding CH. The DVD cases are exactly the same as what you would find from a store(you can only order two of the same title because CH will kick you out if they feel that you are buying from them just to sell to another party). Once you join, the website will show you the new releases. The enrollment website doesn't show new releases because the average time for a title to be available as an enrollment is three months after it was first released. The best enrollment code that I know of right now is 23E .

8. GrantM

GrantM Stunt Coordinator

I second all the above. I've joined CH about a dozen times now. it's very much worth it to get about 8 discs per account for $7-8 each. You may have some random issue (like getting charged too much for shipping, or something like that). You just have to keep an eye out and call them if there's an issue. I've never had any difficulty getting a problem corrected.

9. David Fisher

David Fisher Stunt Coordinator

CH is a great way to build your library with back titles that you may not immediately purchase if you go to the video store. At the time that I joined, the Clerks SE was retailing for $28, so I joined CH to pick up a lot of the expensive titles that I wasn't willing to buy at full retail. However, the regular price (and shipping costs) of new movies is much higher than you would pay at even the high-cost stores like Suncoast. If you do it right, get in-get out, with a good fiscal strategy; it can be a good deal. I might even do it again to pick up some older titles that I've been eyeing lately....

10. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

I used to be a memeber but left cause i hated the shipping. But all in all it is a decent deal. Im even thinking about rejoining to pick up older titles.

11. Jim-M

Jim-M Second Unit

12. The Void

The Void Agent

You may want to wait a bit before joining Columbia House. For the past month the majority of people at the DVDTalk DVD Clubs forum have joined and had the application disapear, myself included. I don't know what is going on there but I had been getting my accounts approved in 1 or 2 days. Something odd is going on and I'm going to wait awhile before opening another account.

My strategy lately has been to join with 23E -> 6 titles for $17.40 shipped. I have a commitment of 2 more to purchase later. I then preorder 2 new releases for $19.95 each, use the $5 off your first web order coupon, and get $.99 per title shipping for fullfilling my account. My last membership was can be broken down like this.

6 Enrollments $17.40 (5 @ $.49 + 1 @ $14.95, free shipping)
    2 Fullfillments $34.88 (A Christmas Story SE $19.95, Christmas Vacation SE $17.95) - $5 coupon + $1.98 shipping.

Total for 8 DVDs = $52.28 / 8 = $6.54 per DVD.

I then close the account.

I say it's very good deal.