What's new

Columbia House DVD club??? Good or not? (1 Viewer)

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Are these DVD's any good or are they the factory rejects that can't make it to the store shelves? I have used them for CD's and most seem to be fine to me. What is the deal with the club? Worth it?
Thanks in advance!

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I have done a couple DVD deals through Columbia House and the DVDS are normal and legit. If you find the right deal (code), with shipping and txx, it usually works out to $9.00-10.00 a disc when it's all said and done.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
They are exactly the same as the DVDs you buy in retail stores.
Your question is answered in this FAQ maintained over at the other forum. It answers everything you'd want to know about Columbia House DVD Club, including all the strategies for getting the best deals.
This is a very worthwhile means of building a collection these days, since other coupons and deals have become so scarce.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Well, that's what Home Theater Forum is all about...
confused.gif

laugh.gif

------------------
Scott Weinberg
------------------
http://members.home.net/scott2915/_vti_txt/ofcs
[Edited last by Scott Weinberg on November 01, 2001 at 06:50 PM]

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
These days, with so little to fullfill in terms of the agreements for DVD and CD clubs, they are worth it. I have been a member of many. Here is the simple formula and it works great to obtain lots of CD's and I guess in the case of the DVD club, lots of DVD's:
1. Join
2. Fullfill
3. Quit
4. Repeat
I just got a new Columbia House invite. I have joined and let it run out 3 times. Each time I re-join I get a decent value in the offer for "NEW" members.
[Edited last by Chris PC on November 01, 2001 at 07:42 PM]

Matt Giggey

Stunt Coordinator
There is no way you could find a better deal on DVDs. I'm on my 11th membership right now. $10 per DVD is unbeatable!
------------------
Link Removed

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Brad have you had a bad experience with CH? I was thinking of trying it out, everyone else seems to have good luck with them.
Also I checked out your theater pics, and there is nothing lame about it, it is very nice
icon14.gif

------------------
Sean
"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"
[Edited last by Sean Conklin on November 02, 2001 at 12:58 AM]

Hubert

Second Unit
Columbia House is fne. However, there's one thing you have to worry about. Every now and then if there's two versions of one movie, they'll send you the P&S version instead of the CE of the movie. They have done this to me 2 times. They sent me the P&S version of The Mummy Returns. So make sure you know what you're getting.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Well, I joined last night. I don't really plan on staying a member, though. I ordered Clerks, Dogma, and Mallrats (all deluxe editions), American Pie Ultimate Unrated, Men in Black LE, and Gladiator. It was $21. For my remaining 3 required purchases, I'm going to buy some cheap $20 (like Tango & Cash). It seems like a good deal to me.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Sean,
Thanks for the compliment on my HT pics. I hadn't really had a bad experience with CH, just that after you get your cheap DVD intro package, you find out how expensive their DVDs are. I guess it's not so bad when you add in the factor that they usually have sales like buy one dvd get 2 at 50% off. But remember, you may end up paying 30 dollars for a 20 dollar dvd before you get to that savings. Plus, they are expensive when it comes to shipping.
------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
My List O' DVDs:
Link Removed

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
If you are looking to beef up your collection in an affordable manner, Columbia House is the ONLY way to purchase more expensive DVD's. My average price (including shipping) has been around $9.50 per title. For films like these:
2001 (Remastered), Full Metal Jacket (Remastered), To Kill A Mockingbird CE, Silence Of The Lambs SE, and The Untouchables.
Try to get that done shopping anywhere else. If you say you can - you're a liar!
biggrin.gif

------------------
The Dark Tower
jamaris1.jpg

Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)?

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Brad, you're missing the whole point. Yes, what you say about CH is true, but only if you were to join and stay a member.
But it would be foolish to do that, because if you play the game right you can join, get your initial selections, fulfill your membership agreement by buying 2 at regular price, then quit. Then repeat that cycle. There is no restriction on the number of times you can sign up again. In fact, you can even have two simultaneous memberships under the same name. When you do it this way you end up paying under $10 per DVD, which as others said can't be beat, assuming you really want those selections.
Now, having said all that I'll say that I personally haven't taken advantage of this system. I did sign up and do it once then cancelled. But I've never gotten around to doing it again. Part of the reason is that I pretty much have all I want of previously released titles that CH has and you can't get preorders or new releases as enrollment selections at CH. I'm too impatient to wait for a few months to get say, DOCTOR ZHIVAGO.
I do wish that CH had everything in the Criterion Collection available as enrollment selections. That would make me join again in a minute.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I just have to chime in here, because there are people who just dont get Columbia House. This isnt directed at Brad, or anyone specific, but I have run into people that I have detailed for them how the club works, all the prices, all the shipping costs, tax, etc, and I will prove to these people that you pay an AVERAGE of around $10 per disc, and they still complain about the high regular prices. I personally dont care if I buy 5 movies at $10 each, or if I buy 3 at $1 each, and 2 more at $23.50 each, in the end, its still the same price!
Glenn pretty much summed it up, yes, Columbia House has high prices if you join the club and stay in, but thats not the point. You join, fulfill your account and get out, rejoin over and over again. Over at DVDTalk, theres a guy who has done this well over 100 times already. Ive personally done it over 10 times with no hassles.
For anyone who joins Columbia House and has to buy 3 fulfillments, then you didnt read the FAQ over at DVDTalk, if you use one of the promotion codes, you only have to buy 2 fulfillment DVDs. And once you join and cancel your membership once, you can use that membership number to refer yourself and join again with an even better code, which gets you one extra enrollment disc!!
Ive said all I can, if people still have doubts, then go over to www.dvdtalk.com and read their thread which goes over every feasable question or concern about this, and if you STILL dont get it, or dont want to try it, then oh well, its your money.

Rolando

Screenwriter
Does it cover Canadian CH FAQs as well? If not anyone know where I cant get the equivalent CH info for Canadians?

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
After you have joined, be sure to call Customer Service and asked to be put on Preferred Customer status. This way you don't have to send the cards back. Only send them in when you want to place an order. There is no savings for staying in CH after your required purchases.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
full said:
can't you just go online and respond to the monthly offer there? that's what i do. i haven't sent a card back yet.
overall, ch has done a pretty good job with me. i've sent them a couple of emails and they always replied within a few days.
not sure if i'll resubscribe once my obligation is fulfilled...
------------------
"The ship of death has a new captain." - nosferatu (1922)

Charles M

Stunt Coordinator
I am a member. I can say that if you don't have to money at the moment, then it might be good for you. It's like having a credit card, eventually you have to pay it off. By time they add on the SHIPPING charge and tax, it comes out to the same thing(around $20). Say if you want to get four or more, they'll only send you the first three until you pay for those first and then they will send the rest of them. Where as going to the store there's no limit to how many you can leave with(of course if you have the money at that time). Sometime you can catch a sell or two. Normally you have to buy one at regular price frist before you can get the other ones for a discouted price, Every now and then they'll have everything on sell without the regular price scam.
------------------
The only dumb question is the one you never ask....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks