What's new

Columbia House, Come on, admit it, you have thought about joining! (1 Viewer)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I've been a one-time joiner member for several years. I've bought dozens of CDs, tens of dozens of videos, and a few hundred DVDs over the years. I even belonged to the Laserdisc club for a while, but those were still too expensive and I only bought a few. They have great deals on DVDs, especially for long-time members in good standing. I don't buy CDs or videos anymore, my lifestyle has turned completely to DVDs. I just wait for the good deals (especially the free shipping offers) and order away. It's just like buying them on credit, because I don't have to pay until I receive them, and then I can budget for them. It should be noted that I treat my DVD collection as a library, and want as many titles that I want as I can get. (Iow, I get movies that I love, like, or haven't seen but researched enough to know that I'd probably like. I don't buy movies willy nilly just to build up numbers).

Their DVD selection is great, and I've only had a couple of minor problems over the years. In each case I wrote a letter and it was cleared up quickly and politely. Another couple of times I accidentally bought pan'n'scan titles and when I explained that I don't buy p&s movies on principle, they took them back and gave me credit, with no other questions asked. I've ordered via their catalog, via the web, and via the telephone (toll-free call) and have only been frustrated when they set a limit on how many I could buy. During one sale, I had 80 titles all lined up to buy. I *wanted* to buy them. They would only let me buy 40. Ah well, their loss. I had it all budgeted and everything.

They're good, and really don't deserve the join and quit, join and quit pattern that so many people seem to use. I think they appreciate people like me, who stick with them and don't try to take advantage of them, which is why we get specials and good deals that aren't, as far as I know, given to short-timers.

Once you fulfill your requirement, you can call them and specify that they not send you anything without your permission, so you don't have to worry about sending the cards back in.

EugeneR

Second Unit
They're good, and really don't deserve the join and quit, join and quit pattern that so many people seem to use.
I'm certain that CH is very much aware of the "join and quit" customers, and doesn't mind them at all. They have a special deal with the studios and get their titles cheaper than retail stores. They don't make as much profit per DVD with the "join and quit" crowd, but they make a little, and that type of customer buys in volume, so I think CH more than makes up for the lower per-disc profit. Also, the number of people doing this in relation to the overall number of customers is pretty small. If this was an issue for CH, the practice would be very easy to stop; they haven't tried after many, many years of people doing this with the CD club and now the DVD club. If they objected they would at least have a policy limiting the number of times you can join, but they do not.
I wouldn't feel bad for CH. They are a part of a corporate giant that manages to take care of itself just fine.;)
And if you stay with them for a long time, you still will not get near as good a deal as you do when you use the initial offer, which averages out to under $10 per DVD. So I believe that I'll stick with the "join and quit" strategy.:D

John Stone

Supporting Actor
They're good, and really don't deserve the join and quit, join and quit pattern that so many people seem to use.
It's their company and they make the rules; we just play by them. :) Comparatively speaking very few people know about all (or even just a few) of the "secrets" employed by some of us here. If CH had a problem with any of what we are doing, they could change their rules and make it impossible (or at least much more difficult) to continue as we do.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I have it on good authority that neither Columbia House nor the studios/lables lose money no matter what you do. There is no need for distributor markup or covering storefront costs, and the 'handling' fees are pure additional markup.
Musicians and songwriters likely get the shaft on Columbia House purchases, but that would be irrespective of your average purchase price.
CH encourages join/quit/join patterns by allowing 2 accounts open to each club at once, and by making special offers which are only valid if you have a Preferred Status Number (previous account number).
Doing anything but join/quit/join is simply throwing your money away. Save charity for the diseased and downtrodden, not for a giant corporate arm.

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
A few years ago I had a CH rep call me to open an account. When I told her I already had an account open, she said "well we can go ahead and close that account and open up a new one so I could get the deal again".

I passed on it, but I am thinking of closing my accounts and opening new ones.

By my understanding, artists get little to no royalties for discs sold through the clubs. I guess the RIAA thinks it is OK for artists to get screwed that way
I read an article a few years ago in our local paper and from what i remember of what was written, CH purchases the rights of an album from a studio, IE: the music, cover art, liner notes and anything else related to that recording. It then has full permission to do what it wants with that recording. CH presses their own discs.

The artists do not get royalties from CH, they would get the money from the studio when the rights of the recording was purchased.

I think that is the jist of it, but it anyone else can fill in the blanks that would be helpful or correct what is not right.

Paul

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
From various online sources:

Not that these sources are any more authoritive, but "Billboard" magazine in the article "Record Clubs: An Inside Look At An Evolving Enterprise" (30 March 1996) and the book "This Business of Music" (Shemel, Syndey. 1990), both state that artists usually do not receive royalties for bonus or free club sales, but do receive reduced royalties, on average about 1/2 the artist's regular rate, on regular priced sales.
It sounds to me like after you average out the lack of a royalty on the free/sale discs with the 50% royalty on the full-priced discs, the artists probably aren't getting much worth mentioning.

I suspect the DVD royalty situation has some commonality with the music one.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I did the CD club thing several times for different clubs. You just follow the recipe:

1. Join
2. Fulfill
3. Quit
4. Repeat

Doing this years ago I paid an average of $12.71 CDN ($8.12 USD) for each of the CD's I bought.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I got this mailing from Columbia House today that makes it seems like you have already joined and they are offering you the $0.49/DVD vouchers to get you started in their club. I was thinking someone had joined me up and might have been using my address to be scamming for free DVDs by checking my mailbox and scarfing them before I'd get home from work.

Upon closer inspection, it was just another sales pitch to get me to join their club. I guess it was a good thing that I wasn't interested in any of the DVDs that were on the sticker sheet enclosed in the mailing.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
I guess it was a good thing that I wasn't interested in any of the DVDs that were on the sticker sheet enclosed in the mailing.
You do know you don't have to use the stickers, right? I just got the same mailing, and used the code on their website and ordered other titles, ones I wanted. Unless someone knows another way to get Speed Five Star, Schoolhouse Rock and Forrest Gump for $8.97 apiece, CH is the way to go!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Michael St. Clair said:

BMG does seem to have a LOT more artists in their CD club than CH does.
Agreed. My rock and pop collection is rather extensive, so I have mainly been buying jazz in stores or through the clubs lately. BMG has a better selection of jazz recordings than does Columbia House.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
If you do BMG on the website, buy your 1 disc at $14.98, get your additional free ones, then cancel, the per-disc price averages about $4.05 including all fees.

If you do CH with code WXRC or WXMC (15 free to start instead of 12, with no S/H), you'll average about $3.70 a disc. This may require a PSN (previous account code). Code SCE gives you the 15 free, but you still pay shipping.

Of course, if you buy more expensive obligation titles (like $16.98 or $17.98), the average goes up, but not by a lot.

Also, with CH, unlike the old days, you can fullfill your obligation titles with 'Buy 1 at full price, get 2 free' deals that come every couple of months. The 1 you buy at full price counts toward your obligation.

Stereophile did a test once that showed club CDs to be digitally identical to CDs in stores - at least the CDs they tested.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Any recent experience with CH canada? ie shipping prices, coupon codes, special selections, etc...? thx.

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
If you do CH with code WXRC or WXMC (15 free to start instead of 12, with no S/H), you'll average about $3.70 a disc. This may require a PSN (previous account code). Code SCE gives you the 15 free, but you still pay shipping.
Michael,

I was wondering if you knew of a "Preferred Status Number".

I go through the process to create a new account but it asks for the Preferred Status Number which i don't have.

The PSN you give doesn't work (sce).

Paul

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
I have one question. How do you tell which DVDs are WS and which are P&S. The CH site doesn't seem to let you click on the DVD title and get any details, it just adds the DVD to your shopping cart. I would not want to end up with any P&S versions.

[EDIT] Nevermind, I found the actual site. Clicking on the DVD Club on the front page takes you to a different site than clicking on Video Club and then DVD Club once inside the Video Club area. Odd.

JamieD

Supporting Actor
Any recent experience with CH canada? ie shipping prices, coupon codes, special selections, etc...? thx.
Paul, if you're referring to the DVD club, I've found it great! Averaging just under $15 per movie or so I think through 3 memberships.

SteveK

Supporting Actor
Thanks (in part) to this series of posts, I have decided to give Columbia House DVD club a try. I've been a member of BMG CD club for years, but have never joined a DVD club. I'm not thrilled about the automatic shipment provision, but I know that's standard for just about all book, music and movie clubs. So we shall see how everything works out. I figure I can always cancel if I'm not satisfied (once I fulfill the commitment, of course).

We shall see.

Steve K.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I'm not thrilled about the automatic shipment provision, but I know that's standard for just about all book, music and movie clubs.
You can always decline on the website and not send cards in. Just check the 'directors selection' page on your account info once a week or so (and throw those mailers straight in the trash...I don't even open them).

SteveK

Supporting Actor
Michael- I know you can decline selections on the web, which is certainly more convenient then having to return a card each time. I've just never cared for the idea of automatic selections, period. It's never stopped me from joining a club, but I think the whole idea is kind of silly. I realize it may make it "easier" to fulfill your membership commitment, but it seems a lot of work for the club. They must open countless envelopes (or the electronic equivalent) that are buying nothing. Wouldn't it make more sense and be more efficient to have every envelope contain an order? I've always thought so, but obviously the book/movie/CD clubs believe differently. Of course, you can usually request to not have autmatic shipments once you've fulfilled your commitments, but not always.

Again, it's never stopped me from joining a club, but I still don't care for the idea of "automatic" shipments. Just personal preference, I guess.

Steve K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks