Columbia House CDs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary Harris, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Gary Harris

Gary Harris Stunt Coordinator

I'm just wondering...On Ebay for an example, Columbia House versions of CDs seem to be classed as inferior and/or undesirable. It's been my experience that the only difference is the message "Distributed by Columbia House". Everything else seems identical except for that & the barcode. Are the Columbia House CD substandard?

2. John Torrez

John Torrez Second Unit

3. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

I was always of the impression that they were inferior as well. I believe this was rooted in the words of my friends who went hunting for out-of-print CDs at record shows, swap meets, and used CD stores. They said that record club versions were not woth as much as the store bought street versions but could never offer any reasons why. Maybe it was just because they had "Mfd. By BMG" or "Mfd. By Columbia House" printed on them?

The 8 record club CD's I have from 11 years ago still sound fine.

4. Vic_T

Vic_T Stunt Coordinator

These folks are talking about "collecting" which, in this case, has nothing to do with sound quality. The stamp "distributed by columia house" is indeed the only distinguishing factor. As much as I like to have artists entire catalog, I am, thank god, not a collector. It's a very expensive and time consuming fetish to have.

5. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Their cassettes WERE of inferior quality though (don't know if they still are, do they even sell cassettes anymore?)- I first heard Duran Duran's Rio album on a CH cassette that sounded just awful. The cover art was completely different than the 'real' tape's too (they did the same thing with their 8-tracks but I haven't compared the sound quality; I collect 8-tracks but avoid the record club editions since the labels are different- only exception being the post-1982 tapes that were available on 8-track ONLY through Columbia House!)